New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wort Chiller Strainer - I Admit It. I Stole This Great Idea.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default Wort Chiller Strainer - I Admit It. I Stole This Great Idea.

The pics below demonstrate how effective a paint strainer can be in filtering out cold break trub and other unwanted stuff when transferring from the boil pot to the primary.

The first pick is my first AG...a Kolsch...siphoned directly to the fermenter using a racking cane.

chiller_filter_1.jpg

The second pic is my contraption (5 gallon paint strainer from Lowes) to prevent some of the break from getting into the primary. I discovered this method on this forum somewhere...thanks.
chiller_filter_2.jpg

The third and fourth pics are the results of using the filter. The new Kolsch is the one on the left.
chiller_filter_3.jpg

It's the exact same recipe and process as my first Kolsch, but you can see the fermenter is considerably cleaner.
chiller_filter_4.jpg
Once I got down to the brown muck in the bottom of the pot, I used the ole colandar with a paper towel to slow filter the rest of the wort into a pot and pitched it into the fermenter later.

I know this is old hat for the more seasoned brewers, but given the number of posts regarding "that yellow junk in my fermenter", I thought I'd share:

RedBeardedBrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I use a variation of that method and it is quick and works great.

Gary

Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm slightly confused: why is the wort chiller inside the bag?

That actually gives me an idea: if you put the wort chiller inside the bag like that, and added it to the pot with, say, 20 minutes left in the boil--then you could chuck all of the flavor and aroma hops into the bag as well, and lift the whole works out after chilling.

My biggest concern would be that the bag would scortch on the bottom of the pan, though.

Was your chiller inside the bag like that the whole time it was in the pot? And the bag didn't burn?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I'm slightly confused: why is the wort chiller inside the bag?

That actually gives me an idea: if you put the wort chiller inside the bag like that, and added it to the pot with, say, 20 minutes left in the boil--then you could chuck all of the flavor and aroma hops into the bag as well, and lift the whole works out after chilling.

My biggest concern would be that the bag would scortch on the bottom of the pan, though.

Was your chiller inside the bag like that the whole time it was in the pot? And the bag didn't burn?
This was after the wort had chilled and I needed to siphon into the fermenter.

I do a free boil (no hop bags). When the wort has chilled, remove the chiller, clamp this strainer on the outside. After letting the wort sit for about 15 minutes (covered) to settle, gently submerge this into the wort and inside the chiller, you'll have a clear pool of wort from which to siphon.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
bgdfw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a big funnel which fits in the top of my carboy which has a nylon mesh screen in the bottom. I set a colander over that and pour from the kettle through the colander which goes through the mesh. Only problem is I still have to sometimes massage the wort through the mesh screen with a spoon.

I'm assuming this is a common problem but I would like to avoid it.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I cool the wort and siphon off the clear part. Then dump the last gallon or so into a sanitized plastic pail lined with the strainer.

Gary

Old 03-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdfw
I have a big funnel which fits in the top of my carboy which has a nylon mesh screen in the bottom. I set a colander over that and pour from the kettle through the colander which goes through the mesh. Only problem is I still have to sometimes massage the wort through the mesh screen with a spoon.

I'm assuming this is a common problem but I would like to avoid it.
That was how I used to do it. Seemed the bigger the beer, the more of a pain. And if you use a lot of hops...fo-get-about-it.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I do a free boil (no hop bags). When the wort has chilled, remove the chiller, clamp this strainer on the outside. After letting the wort sit for about 15 minutes (covered) to settle, gently submerge this into the wort and inside the chiller, you'll have a clear pool of wort from which to siphon.
Do you do anything special to protect against infection? If you remove the chiller for 15 minutes, then add a bag to it, do you boil everything in a different pot while the wort is settling? Just curious.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Do you do anything special to protect against infection? If you remove the chiller for 15 minutes, then add a bag to it, do you boil everything in a different pot while the wort is settling? Just curious.
I lift the wort chiller out of the hot kettle and drop it into one of my empty sanitized fermenter buckets and lay the lid over. The nylon paint strainer is taken right out of a sink full of sanitized solution, wrung dry and placed over the chiller...then dunked.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #10
scohop
Recipes 

Good idea!

Dumb question: how will having all the gunk in your fermenter effect the beer? (in my 2 AG batches, I've just poored the whole boil into my fermenter... )

pax,
Scott

Quick Reply