The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wort Chiller in Keggle...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
timm747
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Unpossible. High water flow = quicker wort cooling.
Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

T

Fermenting American IPA AG 7-9-11

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Boardndave
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm747 View Post
I stretched out the coils and it works fine and reaches the bottom now. I've learned that running the water through it slowly cools the wort a lot faster than if its pumping through fast.

Tim
Interesting. Any way you could upload a picture so that I could see what your stretching did to the IC?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Another option would be to cut the angle portion off and put new compression fittings on the riser so there is no longer a bend on the chiller. I have attached Kent quick disconnects on mine and use it as my HERMS coil when mashing and my chiller when cooling....I now consider it twice as valuable

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
timm747
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardndave View Post
Interesting. Any way you could upload a picture so that I could see what your stretching did to the IC?
I can get you a picture tonight. All I did was pull the coils apart so they aren't close together. I was afraid to cut the curves off because if I have a drip from a connection I want it to happen outside of the kettle.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Do what works for you and I'll do what works for me.

T
Sure thing. But just to explain myself... You'll find that when you crank up the water, the water coming out cools down, but that's only because there's more water carrying the heat. It's still removing more heat than with slower water flow. Of course, at some point it starts to plateau, but wort cooling has to improve with greater water flow rate. Unless you've found a way to defy the laws of thermodynamics, of course.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
timm747
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right, but then there's the argument that if the water moves too fast it isn't absorbing as much heat. There are discussions about this all over HBT and I have yet to see anything conclusive. All I know is it took 2 hours to cool it down when the pressure was up and I can cut that at least in half if not more by slowing it down. I'm not talking about a trickle. The water is still coming out pretty quick.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #17
Boardndave
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I can get you a picture tonight. All I did was pull the coils apart so they aren't close together. I was afraid to cut the curves off because if I have a drip from a connection I want it to happen outside of the kettle.
Agreed. I'd love a picture. Just to be clear, is your chiller a Midwest 25' Steel IC?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Right, but then there's the argument that if the water moves to fast it isn't absorbing as much heat. There are discussions about this all over HBT and I have yet to see anything conclusive. All I know is it took 2 hours to cool it down when the pressure was up and I can cut that at least in half if not more by slowing it down. I'm not talking about a trickle. The water is still coming out pretty quick.
I won't beat a dead horse, so I'll just leave it with this: I can guarantee you'll never see a mathematical argument OR a controlled experiment showing that lower flow rates results in faster wort cooling. It's just not possible in this situation where we already have fully developed turbulent flow. Sure you may see pseudo-scientific comments like "the water doesn't have time to absorb the heat" but that's simply gibberish.

It's like trying to argue "my heating element puts out more heat when I use a lower current, because when the current is too high, the electrons don't have enough time to create heat." Also not correct.

As I'm sure we'd both agree, once you get a good flow rate, adding more water doesn't help much. For me 100% flow works hardly better than 50% flow because my cooling water comes out around the same temp at 100% versus 50% flow. So this discussion is largely academic anyway, since I'm sure you and I and everybody else runs enough water that we're all the way up that plateau.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
timm747
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a picture. I've had it for too long to remember where I got it but I'm pretty sure its the midwest. Either midwest or northern brewer, they are the only 2 online stores I shop from.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #20
Boardndave
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Here's a picture. I've had it for too long to remember where I got it but I'm pretty sure its the midwest. Either midwest or northern brewer, they are the only 2 online stores I shop from.

Awesome. Thanks so much. I was afraid to bend it, but I was able to get it bent and all of the coils (save for the send/return) are submerged in 5g of liquid inside my keggle.

Hopefully others will find this thread if they have a similar question.

Quick Reply