working on my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpiperjosh

Reaction score
i just finished sparging my mash and i did a pre boil hydro reading. the first one i got a 1042 then i thought it would be a good idea to stir up the pot and measure it again... the second reading i got was 1038

now 1042 would put me at about 84.5% efficiency
and 1038 would put me at about 78% efficiency

which do you think is more accurate?

i used 11 lbs of maris otter

thanks

Try a third time and see what it is!

Edit: 11 lb of marris otter doesn't help much without water volumes!

The reading after stirring is probably more accurate. I always try to stir before taking a reading. Sugars can go into solution a little unevenly and become stratified.
Remember though, it's only numbers and the only thing that really counts is the final product: taste. I love playing with the numbers and rack my itty bitty brain trying to figure them all out before and after a brew. But I really don't "worry" too much about them. The beer comes out fine.

The reading after stirring is probably more accurate. I always try to stir before taking a reading. Sugars can go into solution a little unevenly and become stratified.
Remember though, it's only numbers and the only thing that really counts is the final product: taste. I love playing with the numbers and rack my itty bitty brain trying to figure them all out before and after a brew. But I really don't "worry" too much about them. The beer comes out fine.

yea, i was just curious about my efficiency being that it was my first AG batch and all... just wanted to know what to expect for future batches

Back