Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Woo hoo another first all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Touristbob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Woo hoo another first all grain

Just finished my first all grain, a Scottish wee heavy. May have been a bit ambitious for my first but it was for a friend. Mashed 15.8 lbs of grain and hit a mash temp of 153 on the button. Fly sparaged with 170 deg water and according to my calc I got a 67.9 efficiency post boil. Had a little problem with boilovers due to the amount of wort collected (7.25 gals) for a 90 min boil but collected 4.5 galons and topped off to 5 before taking my gravity reading. color looks good and it smells great. All in all, a great first experience that I wanted to share since SWMBO could care less.

OG ended up being 1.075 so its gonna be a nice big beer.

Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
mosyslack
doesn't drink...hahaha
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Congrats on the first successful AG! It sounds like it mostly went off with out any hiccups? I was pretty excited after my first AG batch...greater accomplishment I think (in my mind). Enjoy the new found skills... Once you hone your system and brew day schedule, the beer only improves!

Drinking: 3rd Shift Breakfast Stout, store bought

Old 05-17-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Mike M
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Nice. Congrats on your 1st There's no turning back now.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've got a good stock of extract batches in the bottles, and will be starting my conversion to AG over the next month. I admire your ambition with the wee heavy; don't think I'm going that far with my first batch. I'm going to keep the training wheels on for a few batches, probably start with a MW Amarillo Ale kit, a beer we enjoy, and one I've made in extract enough times to give me a good baseline to compare to AG. We just returned from visiting our son and his family on the East coast, and I was able to have some hands-on doing an AG batch of ESB. I got a propane burner at a good price, now it's time to start the cooler conversion. Wish me luck.....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply