Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > wondering if og is WAY too low

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
BREWMASTERALER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Posts: 4
Default

My cream ale did about the same, but was awsome!!! Got 3.2% all my friends love it!!

forumrunner_20120508_225447.jpg

__________________
BREWMASTERALER is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
bagpiperjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 317
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

i just checked my gravity after 9 days and its 1.000 which tells me i got 4.46%abv. does that seem right?? given what i said in the original post??

i also plan to bottle today and its really cloudy, should i try to chill it first to get some of that haze out of there??

thanks

bagpiperjosh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,042
Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperjosh
i just checked my gravity after 9 days and its 1.000 which tells me i got 4.46%abv. does that seem right?? given what i said in the original post??

i also plan to bottle today and its really cloudy, should i try to chill it first to get some of that haze out of there??

thanks
1.000 is the gravity of water, you are not reading your hydrometer properly
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florence, Alabama
Posts: 1,592
Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
1.000 is the gravity of water, you are not reading your hydrometer properly
Actually, it is possible to hit 1.00 with a beer. Remember that alcohol has a lower SG than water... if the residual sugars are low enough and the alcohol content high enough, it can bring the FG to that level.
__________________

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

wailingguitar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
bagpiperjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 317
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wailingguitar View Post
Actually, it is possible to hit 1.00 with a beer. Remember that alcohol has a lower SG than water... if the residual sugars are low enough and the alcohol content high enough, it can bring the FG to that level.
i actually wasnt expecting such a high alcohol content. i hope it still tastes ok. its really light in color and smelled pretty strong
bagpiperjosh is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
jkbachman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ozark, Missouri
Posts: 16
Default

It sounds like the beer is going to be lighter in body but higher in alcohol content. Have you also made sure that the hygrometer you use is correctly calibrated for the temperature?

__________________
jkbachman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wondering about this recipe? martyjmc All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 04-18-2012 11:50 PM
Wondering how these would work for a swamp cooler... wookiemofo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 02-25-2011 10:37 PM