Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Williams Brewing Catalog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Williams Brewing Catalog

I was flipping through the Williams Brewing Catalog last night while having a few and saw a little inset article titled "Brewing the Williams Way" that summarized All Grain Brewing. Step 1 was to activate yeast whack pack and allow to swell. Step 2 was Boil the hops and grain. Boil the grain, really? How does that work for the enzymes and astringency? I realize that they were trying to provide a simple write up, but I would think that the word boil would want to be avoided since that will surely ruin your mash.

Maybe I have to re-read it sober, but it sure seemed misleading to me. Has anyone seen this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1542 Times on 1465 Posts
Likes Given: 52728

Didn't catch it in the recent issue...will have to go back and read through. But, yeah, that doesn't sound right. Although maybe that's the secret to the "William's Way"?

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
imperialipa
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That aint right. You would end up with wort full of starches and little or no sugar to ferment. Maybe he is talking about partial grain/ extract brewing?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Docjowles
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah either you misread or he was really oversimplifying things. Just dumping your entire grain bill into the kettle and boiling would lead to epic failure.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I believe those are supposed to be the simplefied version of how to brew one of their kits. I think ALL of their kits are extract based.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply