Will this work for filtering my mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll work OK for batch sparging, I'm guessing. I think the flow is going to be very slow, though, with those crimps in the copper tubing. In batch sparging, part of the strategy is to drain the tun quickly.

hmm, what if I cut some holes in the pinched parts and put a filter over? I have a whole nother copper tube, but when it bends the dam thing pinches... any advice on getting around that? Do I even need a tube that big?

Even a small hardware store should have copper elbows. I'd cut off those crimped corners and put elbows on. If you don't want to solder, you can just wrap the copper with some teflon tape to make it a tight slip fit.

I would also recommend elbows if you can find them. If not, try bending the tubing around a soup can or something. That usually works.

The problem is flow - you want the liquid that the manifold collects to flow out of the cooler. You're restricting flow like crazy with all those kinks. Why did you bend it all up like that?

Honestly, I think that thing is practically worthless. You would have been much better off with a braid.

orfy said:
If you can't solder consider plastic and push fit or copper and compresion joints.

If you go plastic, C-PVC, not PVC. The former can stand mash temps, the latter cannot (pretty sure it'll start leeching chemicals you don't want to be drinking).

Ideal, though, would be getting some elbows. You don't need to solder, a manifold is supposed to be a little leaky - but those kinks in the corner aren't going to work. Get some elbows and a hacksaw.

You can just crimp the elbows with plyers too - that will give it enough bite to hold it together.

seefresh said:
You'll rock, thanks for the advice... I'll post pictures of my second attempt later.
Seefresh,

Take a look at the link below on my first AG last week. There's a picture of my copper manifold. The earlier post was right, elbows and T's. No need to sweat (seal) the joints because you want it to leak.

Take a look and I think you'll have better luck than trying to bend the tubing.

manifold.JPG

Back