Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Will this work to crush my grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Snoogles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Will this work to crush my grains?

Hey guys, Do you have any idea if this would work to crush grain for brewing? http://www.blendtec.com/products/view/kitchen_mill

It's my wives and I just saw it sitting on the counter...She used it to make flour but it looks like there are some settings for coarseness. I'm just hoping to buy a 50LB bag of grain for cheap and save some money.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 790 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 277

It might work once.... and then you will find your hide nailed to the wall nearest where your wife found you when she noticed her mill messed up. Do yourself and her a favor and either get your LHBS (if you have one) to mill the grains for you or buy a Corona style mill dedicated to your brewing. The grain mill I saw on Amazon that looks like mine was under $30 delivered and will last you for many years. Mine looks like this one and is made from cast iron. http://www.amazon.com/Hopper-Cast-Gr...rds=grain+mill

Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Same folks who do the you tube will it blend deals.

My brother is a engineer in the company that makes those but he works in the blender area I think or I would ask him. I would think though that it would not go coarse enough since it is used to make flour

Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogles
Hey guys, Do you have any idea if this would work to crush grain for brewing? http://www.blendtec.com/products/view/kitchen_mill

It's my wives and I just saw it sitting on the counter...She used it to make flour but it looks like there are some settings for coarseness. I'm just hoping to buy a 50LB bag of grain for cheap and save some money.
I have used a total piece of crap blender to crush grains before and it worked fine. Blend tec are very high quality so it will do the job easily and will not get wrecked at all. I would set it for a coarse setting and just pulse it in very short bursts. You don't want flour.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
TooGoodToCheck
Recipes 

The BlendTek Kitchen Mill is a mill, not a blender. I was thinking about buying one second hand, but I saw this in the manual (which is available on the blendtek site):
"You can select any of three settings from regular flour to fine flour."
"The machine will not do cracked wheat on any setting."

So I don't think that this can serve as a barley crusher.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

No it is used to make flour which is too fine for beer. Second just get a corona style mill like rm-mn suggested since it will pay for it self from the savings of buying your grain in bulk.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2
Primary 3 - Belgium Triple
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout, ESB, Belgium Light.

Quick Reply