Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Will This Increase my PM Efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Will This Increase my PM Efficiency?

Gonna repost this from another thread...

I do PM's exclusively. My method consists of a stepped mash (133f for 30 mins, 149-155f for 45 mins, 158f for 10-20mins, bring to 167f, sparge w/ 170f water). The way I sparge is to use my pasta colander, which has holes just like a false bottom. It has handles on two sides, so I just put it into the top of a big plastic bucket and the handles keep it suspended at the top. I pour the first runnings, along with the grain, into the colander, stir it, press most of the liquid out with a big bowl. Then I pour batches of the sparge water into the grains, stir, press, repeat...until I get to my desire boil volume. Typically, I get clear runnings by the end.

My question is, do you think that I would get better efficiency if I were to pour the first runnings and the grain into the colander, press out all the liquid, return the grains to the mash tun, mix the sparge water in, and stir it for a minute or two before sending the whole mess through the colander again? My main concern about my current method is that the sparge water only passes through the grains, and doesn't get a whole lot of time sitting with them. Does it make any sense to add this step to my process? I'm not gonna buy any extra equipment until I decide to go AG, but it seems like this may be one way to increase efficiency slightly. What do you think?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I'm certain letting the grain sit on the sparge water will give you more efficiency. It takes time to dissolve things.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess I'll try that next time. Can't hurt...won't add but maybe 5 mins to my session time.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
uwmgdman

Recipes 

I had a post about that not long ago and I'm going to try doing the same thing, put the grains into the sparge water and sit for 10-15 minutes (same as you'd do a batch sparge on an all-grain batch) then pour the 'sparged wort' over the grain in the colander on the brew pot. I'm also going to increase my water/grain ratio for my mash slightly.

I'll let you know how it turns out, you should post your results as well, specifically how much, if any your efficiency goes up. Although it will be a while before I brew again, but when I brew I'll post. I'm guessing mid/late December.

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 11-27-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Evan....

Have you tried any new methods out and noted an increased efficiency?

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Don't you worry about hot side aeration? It seems like the wort would be splashing quite a bit as it drains from the colander.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
uwmgdman

Recipes 

For me, I haven't worried about it. The latest few batches I've done all PM described above and this technique has resulted in my best beers yet. Now long-term storage issues might be another issue, but none of the beers have lasted long enough to really give that test. The longest I've had some around is 4 months and still tastes great.

I'll eventually do all-grain but that likely won't happen for another year or two for lots of reasons. Until then this method has worked out nicely, I really like the beers and everyone else that drinks my beer says they think they've been my best beers. I'll purposely keep one around for like 9 months or a year and see if I notice anything.

I'm curious if anyone else who uses (used) the colander on the brew pot PM method has ever noticed any problems that they've been able to pin on HSA?

Quick Reply