Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Will hop flavor/aroma develop after bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Francis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Will hop flavor/aroma develop after bottling?

Hey all! I tried a bottle of my IPA last night, it's been 1 week, and of course it tasted green - slightly sweet and bitter. Was expecting that but just wanted to check it's progress - it's carbin' up nicely. What I didn't expect was the lack of hops flavor/aroma. I was really shooting for a nice citrusy IPA. Will they come through after it's fully carbed/conditioned? It's my understanding that the hops will continue to mellow with age. I'll give another one a try after 2 weeks.

Here was my recipe.
13lbs 2-row
.5 crystal 60
.5 carapils

.75 chinook @ 60
.25 chinook @ 45
1.5 amarillo @ 15
.50 amarillo @ 10
1 citra @ 7
1 cascade @ flameout.

1 amarillo Whole leaf DH 10days
1 Citra whole leaf DH 10days.

6.5g boil
5.5g post

SG 1.063 - FG 1.010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yes. Usually greeness masks some of it, so when that cleans up you will get the true picture of the hoppiness/aroma and how it relates to the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I hope so! With that hops schedule you should be good to go. Like any beer, give it time

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 08-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
crocks86
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Not sure if this is always the case but I found with a hoppy brown ale I recently made that when it's still very green tasting I refrigerated it for less time, basically just enough to be just cold enough to drink (maybe 4 hours) and it was 10x better than when it was in the fridge for a few days, much stronger hop flavour and aroma. It probably wasn't as good a solution as waiting a few weeks but this was my first real hoppy beer so I didn't know when exactly it would be at it's best and have been tasting periodically from one week in the bottle on wards.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Rhaop
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocks86 View Post
Not sure if this is always the case but I found with a hoppy brown ale I recently made that when it's still very green tasting I refrigerated it for less time, basically just enough to be just cold enough to drink (maybe 4 hours) and it was 10x better than when it was in the fridge for a few days, much stronger hop flavour and aroma. It probably wasn't as good a solution as waiting a few weeks but this was my first real hoppy beer so I didn't know when exactly it would be at it's best and have been tasting periodically from one week in the bottle on wards.

yeah one reason i liked bottling, its such a shame to drink them every week to "taste periodically" or at least thats what i told the wife

Quick Reply