Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Will it be a good beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
brewman841
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will it be a good beer?

I'm afraid to admit it but, I'm afraid to move to all grain brewing. For the last 16 months I've been building my new brewing system and now I'm afraid to use it. After reading many post and doing some research I still think that I need help with the jump. If I buy an all grain brew kit do you think that the instructions will provide enough assistance to make a good beer? I have made more than 25 batches of beers from extract kits and book recipes over the past 5 years. I think that I just need to sac it up and go with it but... are there any good DVD's out that might benefit me? Please help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Just put on your big-boy pants and brew. If there's not enough info here and here, you're severely overthinking it.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like the section in Designing great beers on determining efficiency. It really helped me to understand how to make sure things are on track as I brew.

The overall process is hard to do exactly like you plan the first couple times but it is even harder to screw up to the point where the beer doesn't turn out perfectly fine.

Most importantly it is a lot of fun.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6269 Times on 5441 Posts
Likes Given: 814

man up and do it! You're more ready than you think!

You basically just add some hot water to a bunch of grain and drain and rinse. After that, it's the same as any extract recipe with a full boil.

I was so nervous for my first AG and posted about it here a bunch of times; but it was a painless fun experience!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Go for it!! I used Bobby_M's tutorial (link already provided a couple posts up) and it was easy peasy.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 ..It easier than most people assume at firts - also lots of fun.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Just do it. Sometimes all of the technical talk can be scary. When you have actually done it, you will realize that you understand it a lot better. Instead of making sure everything is perfect the first time, learn by doing.

I started brewing all grain. I did things a lot differently 3 years ago when I started. I still made beer though. Its not as hard as it sounds. If you keep the temperature consistent, sparge correctly, cool and pitch you will make beer. I've even brewed all grain with no thermometer. Its not something I would do again, but the beer was good. Not to insult you, but I kind of laugh when people talk about making the "Jump" to all grain. All grain is all I've ever known, so it is very simple to me.

At this point, the more you think about it, the more you will confuse yourself. Just brew!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Grow a sack and do it. If not, send your equipment to me and I'll do it for you.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe you can get your husband to do it for you. (Sorry Yoop, just trying to keep in the spirit of the ball busting here.)

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
radtek
Recipes 

Look dude... (pat on back) it's easy not as complicated (grin) as you're imagining. If you have the gear and grain just do it. You'll get conversion. Don't forget to use hot sparge water- get that mash temp up to 168F just before your first run-off.

Boil it down to the desired volume and finish it out.

Good luck.

rad

Quick Reply