Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wild Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
CheaperPlease
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wild Fermentation

This is my first All Grain brew and only my second brwing in my life so i dont know if this is normal or abnormal, I had no way of taking out the Trub so there was atleast 2 1/2 inches of sediment in the bottom of my carboy. I added one vial of Trappist Ale yeast and after 24 hours there is only 1 inch of sediment, the rest is flying around in the brew and it looks like a submurged fountian, That normal?

"Everything works, it just works better if your not a Jackass"
OmniKracker, Shroomery Forum

Bottled - TrapStar Tripel, Accidental Pale, IPA 65
Primary - Muscle Man Cyser
Secondary - Todd's Robust Porter.

To come - Dark Side of the Moon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperPlease
This is my first All Grain brew and only my second brwing in my life so i dont know if this is normal or abnormal, I had no way of taking out the Trub so there was atleast 2 1/2 inches of sediment in the bottom of my carboy. I added one vial of Trappist Ale yeast and after 24 hours there is only 1 inch of sediment, the rest is flying around in the brew and it looks like a submurged fountian, That normal?
Yep... the CO2 and heat produced by the yeast will pick up the trub and swirl it around like crazy... totally normal and nothing to worry about... congrats on the first all grain, and on your second brew!!!

mikey

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
CheaperPlease
Recipes 

GREAT!! it looks good, smells good, everything i wanted... one more question, will this lighten up some before this finishes because its really dark right now and I was going for a Tripel... I used Pilsen, Aromatic and Carapils with some light belgian candi and i dont understand where it got the really brown color it has. Atleast i can be sure my dark beers will be just that, i got this one dark and didnt even mean to.

"Everything works, it just works better if your not a Jackass"
OmniKracker, Shroomery Forum

Bottled - TrapStar Tripel, Accidental Pale, IPA 65
Primary - Muscle Man Cyser
Secondary - Todd's Robust Porter.

To come - Dark Side of the Moon.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Part of the reason it is dark it the amount of ale you are looking through. It will look much lighter in a glass. The sludge isn't helping either.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, even Pilsners look brown in a carboy.

Quick Reply