Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wikipedia on Mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
berebrando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wikipedia on Mashing

I ran into the description of "mashing" on Wikipedia. There is one phrase that I think is critically wrong.

"and decoction mashing, in which a proportion of the grains are boiled and then returned to the mash, raising the temperature."

Its my understanding that boiling the grains is not good. It should read "decoction mashing, in which a proportion of the wort is removed from the mash, boiled and then returned to the mash, raising the temperature."

http://www.google.com/search?q=wiki+mash&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#itp=open12

Right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

When you do a decoction you take the thick part of the mash(mostly grain with some water and boil it) this is done to break down the starches in non/under modified grains to get fermentable sugars. Due to modern modified malts this isn't really necessary any more but people still do it for authenticity.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQPQmELWPo&feature=player_detailpage#t=35 7s

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

You are completely right sir......dear GOD!!! Their use of "proportion" is absolutely obscene. Why people add to words to sound more intelligent (see NOTATED) is beyond me.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
GotPushrods
Bearded Lagerjack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bud is decocted, and I don't get any off flavors. i.e. Tannins.

Hmm wait a minute... come to think of it, I don't get much of ANY flavor. Great Scott you're onto something!!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

So, it's correct that you would boil part of the mash?

I guess you learn something new every day.

On a homebrew set up with a false bottom mash tun, how would you go about pulling off a portion of the mash? Wouldn't you just end up with wort?

I'll admit I've never done a decoction, so this is new to me.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

The mash is typically a mushy pile of grains. There might be a centimeter of water over a very thin mash, but it wouldn't be a problem getting a cup of wet grain.

I suggest doing a few brews before trying a decoction. It is a subtle difference that would be hard to notice if your processes aren't settled in yet.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You get a ladel/spoon/small sauce pan out and scoop out from the thickest part of the mash. This is how I've seen it done in videos.

well I was trying to just link the vid below but it won't let me. Jump to about 5:30 to see how they do it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQPQmELWPo&t=05m30s

Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Watch Kaiser's videos on mashing, he uses a strainer to get mostly grain (for the "thick" part mentioned above) and then uses a pitcher to make sure there is enough wort to cover the grains before he begins the boil. Interesting videos. It's been discussed before, why you don't get tannins from decoctions, and I don't remember all of the reasons cited, but I assume pH has a huge impact on this.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
I ran into the description of "mashing" on Wikipedia. There is one phrase that I think is critically wrong.

"and decoction mashing, in which a proportion of the grains are boiled and then returned to the mash, raising the temperature."

Its my understanding that boiling the grains is not good. It should read "decoction mashing, in which a proportion of the wort is removed from the mash, boiled and then returned to the mash, raising the temperature."

http://www.google.com/search?q=wiki+mash&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#itp=open12

Right?
You're thinking "tannin extraction", right? Tannins get extracted only if the pH of the wort are too high and then only if the temperature is high too. Normally your wort is quite acidic so decocting and boiling the mash is no problem.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 129

"Normally your wort is quite acidic so decocting and boiling the mash is no problem."

The main mash should be soured up before attempting to boil it. Like 5.3 pH. Sauer malz along with an acid rest, or lactic acid, are used to sour up the mash in a decoction. The liquid in the mash tun is mash water. Wort is the liquid extracted from the mash during the sparging process. Sparge is terminated when the wort goes to pH 6. If the pH of the sparge water is high, sometimes phosphoric is added. If anything, wort pH will rise during sparge. Wort "Normally" becomes more acidic in the fermenter, when the yeast does its thing.

Quick Reply