The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wierd Idea..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #71
BorealBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Ok - sorry - didn't mean to be exclusionary in any way!

The boil is over, the wort is chilling - and wow, is the cold break awesome! I was worried about protein haze in this beer...not that I'm brewing it to have a nice, conventionally clear beer, but still, 6-row and lentils...lots of protein.

So far, the lentils seem to be doing everything irish moss might, and more.

Gravity as the yeast goes in - 1.042. I didn't mean to be over-posting this brew...I just knew there were others who were interested!

So, if I mashed a known quantity of malt, and then that same known quantity of malt plus some lentils - and everything else is kept equal - any difference in SG between the two should be coming from the lentils, allowing us to calculate their pts-per-gallon contribution to SG, right?

Last edited by BorealBrewer; 01-29-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: More info, but not enough to justify another post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #72
CDGoin
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

It would only make sense logically.. but we are talking about cooking..

But the difference would undeniably be because of the lentils, one way or the other.

What I mean by that is:

The difference may not be attributed TO THE Lentils products themselves
(What they add to the pool if you will)

But would definitely be BECAUSE OF them..
(The chemical reactions and associated byproducts produced by the lentils and the barley)

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #73
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBrewer View Post
Gravity as the yeast goes in - 1.042.
BTW.. I don't know about you.

But my Hydrometer calls 1.042 BEER

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #74
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

CD - Life doesn't begin until 40...1.040!

After figuring out gravity contribution (because of the lentils, with help from barley enzymes), the next test would be their power to self-convert (the gravity contribution attributable to lentils relying on their own enzymes).

That's why I'm malting 255g, and only plan on using 100g in my initial test. I'll have some material left over to play with to figure out conversion power!

In case anyone's interested, I pitched Nottingham. I like it as a fairly neutral yeast, and I've always had good, fast ferments with it. I want to be able to taste what, if any impact the lentil malt has on the final product; and if the ferment hangs, or starts slow, or doesn't start...it's safe to assume its the lentil malt, not the yeast.

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #75
CDGoin
Recipes 

LOL...

Man I am so glad you jumped on this thread.. otherwise I would still be wondering.. and waiting for my current brews to finish up so I could try.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #76
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

I got my wish, I came home to foam and bubbles in the fermenter!

At this point, time to focus on lentil malt, round two - batch one is in the capable hands of the yeast!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #77
CDGoin
Recipes 

AWESOME !!!

VERY Curious if you could do an ALL Lentil and possibly a Gluten-Free mash (Lentil, Oatmeal, and whatever they use thats Gluten free).

We may have a seriously invented something NEW to the brewing world, and to all those Gluten Free junkies out there. Question is, is there such thing as a gluten free stout, if not maybe its time to try.. with lentils

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #78
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Got home today to a nice white 2" foam on top of the fermenter. Not as crazy as I've had on some batches, but a lot more than on some others. After taking a refrac reading, and running it through a calculator to adjust for the presence of alcohol and what not, the SG is down to 1.033.

The GF aspect intrigues me - but I think I'm a ways from there yet. Once I know if lentils actually have the diastatic power to convert themselves, that avenue looks a little more interesting. If lentils convert themselves, 100% lentil is possible. Would it still be a beer? Would it be drinkable? Hard to say. Would it be cool? Yes!!!!

I can't help but feel this project is still in it's initial stages...but yeah, it's hard to to get excited about the possibilities!

At this point, though, I feel I've got a model-rocket scale brew going on, and a lentil-based stout might be a Saturn V kinda project.

Not that I'm not up for the challenge. My Dad's a chemist, and his mentor worked on the Manhattan Project and the Avro Arrow. He used to tell stories about those days, and he made lab work sound cool and cavalier...I never found that in school, but this project's got me feeling it!

Boreal Brewer

Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #79
CDGoin
Recipes 

My Uncle in law - SR-71

All I can say is WOW... !

PM me so we can email each other ... talked to a microbrew in the area.. We maybe on to something... Thats all I can say..

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #80
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Whew! That was a fast ferment...the hydrometer reading is now 1.009. I'm sticking this in the cold room to clear up a bit. Because it's only a gallon, I haven't taken a hydro sample, just sanitize the heck out of the hydrometer and measure in the fermenter.

I only mention this because I haven't had a hydrometer sample to taste-test. (C'mon, we all do it!) The little bit of beer that stuck to the hydro after testing tonight tasted like light beer. No veggie taste.

But, I have a head cold, and could be WAY off!

I can also let the world know: a few millilitres of lentil beer have not cause epic beer farts.

Boreal Brewer

Quick Reply