New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wierd Idea..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #41
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBrewer View Post
Hi guys!
6. Brew this beer, scaled for 1-gal, using lentil malt in place of soy grits. Soy grits can't taste that much better or worse than homemade amateur lentil malt, right?
Just caught this in the reread..

Soy grits?

I think we have our answer there.. if you can use soy grits in a beer (What are they and what beer?) then Lentils should be a no brainer. As Soy is a legume too and similar to Lentils in most ways.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #42
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

The recipe is for "Al Capone's Prohibition Beer". Disclaimer - I have not brewed this beer before - but the inclusion of soy made me think I'd found my recipe.

The link I put in the post seems not to work, so here's the grain bill, and the full address I'm working from:

(From http://www.brewery.org/cm3/recs/13_30.html)
6 lbs. six-row lager malt
2 lbs rice (ground)
1/2 lbs soy grits ( from health food store )
1 1/2 oz Hersbrucker 6% alpha-acid
1/2 oz - Hallertauer 5% alpha-acid
1/8 oz Hersbrucker 6% alpha-acid
1/2 oz of Hallertauer
Red Star lager Yeast

Soy grits, as explained to me the animal feed supplier "ground up soybeans." I put a fair amount of trust in this guy - he's never given any farmer I know bad advice, and he loves beer. They're included in animal feed, esp. during finishing, I'm told. Wikipedia, for what it's worth, says the soy beans are toasted before grinding - the proposed malting protocol I plan to follow should accomplish this.

The recipe clearly mentions a cereal mash for the rice, but no special instructions for the soy grits, just throw them in with the malt...so that's what I'm going to do.

I'm not sure about the Red Star Lager yeast - but that is a question for a different thread. I'm a little torn between seeking out something authentic, or just making this as clean a cream ale as possible, with something like Nottingham.

My lentil sprouts are now between 1-3mm. I crunched a few before lunch - so far, they taste good. Legume-y, still, but less so than a straight up dry lentil. The texture was decent, too - more like al dente pasta than the strong, dry crunch I was expecting. I'm not sure if I'd eat a bowl of them, but a few before a sandwich, not bad!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #43
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 735 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieBrewer View Post
wall o'text. did not, could not read

they ever heard of paragraph breaks?

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #44
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin View Post
That's what I was thinking..

Use them as a replacement for the oatmeal in a oatmeal stout..

Boreal was looking going the other side of the equation..

Thanks for all the tips guys..

On a different subject.. but also a weird idea.. but one I could do easily.. What do you think of this use of the 2L growler from deep woods and some ingenuity ?

Since no one apparently gave a guano. I figured I would mention that it worked really nice, once I had the tube and gaskets

Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #45
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Hey CD!

It is a pretty cool little rig...I got so caught up in the lentil thing, there are a few other bits from this thread I've neglected. Like the mini-keg-growler set-up. I would love to make something like that for camping!

In your OP, you mentioned your uncle grows winter wheat. Have you brewed with it yet? The grain that got me going on malting was MB hard red winter wheat - supposedly better for pasta, but it makes a nice weizen mixed 3:1 with 2-row malt.

The lentils seem to be coming along nicely. ~80% of them have a shoot 2+mm long. They actually seem to be going faster than when I do barley or wheat - I guess I just bought aggressive lentils!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #46
CDGoin
Recipes 

Thanks

Havent tried his wheat, but it sounds like the same thing you used. He is in northern North Dakota.. a little town that no one up till recently had really heard of, but that has been booming as of late Williston, ND

Not surprising that the lentils are sprouting faster than grain. The lentils have more protein, fat and other reserves.. and I would guess that's what would give them more energy.

The Mini-Keg is dispenses about 8 - 8 oz cups I was trying it out a lot last night.. The recollection of that last post is a bit hazy.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #47
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGoin

On a different subject.. but also a weird idea.. but one I could do easily.. What do you think of this use of the 2L growler from deep woods and some ingenuity ?
Love it! The cool factor is through the roof on that thing. Great job!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #48
CDGoin
Recipes 

I think the picture makes it look like a weird perspective shot.. But the pump/faucet assembly really is almost as big as the mini-mini-keg

Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #49
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Fascinated by this, curious how the taste comes out. Subscribed!

-Rich

Kegged: Kasteel Rouge clone | Negra Modelo clone (first lager!)
On Deck: Bottling dammit!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #50
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Williston, awesome! That's abut 100 miles, as the crow flies, from where my Dad's family's Saskatchewan homestead is. I pass through on my way to Yellowstone every couple years! Is the boom oil, potash, or ??? SE Saskatchewan is crazy over potash and oil...

I think tonight is the night the lentils get dried/kilned. The shoots are about half as long as the the seeds. The lentils have lost any unpleasant "legume" taste, and now taste a lot more like they've been cooked...interesting.

If I have roasting results tonight, I'll post back. Jets game is on in an hour...so I'll have a couple hours at home tonight to roast!

Boreal Brewer

Quick Reply