Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wierd Idea..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #31
CDGoin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I was thinking 5 gallon, but may do 1 Gallon.. havent tryed one gallon yet. I could probably get the equipment to try that..

Got to get the garage cleaned first if I want to do 5 gallon all-grain though.

3 things I was thinking.

1) He went from Malting to brewing.. didnt say if he dried them (In cooking he wouldnt have had too) or roasted them.. So that maybe part of his original problem getting them to take.

2) If you malt them and then try varying roasting methods for chocolate or caramel malting.. might get a different result.

3) If you just dry them, the profile should be REALLY close to oatmeal.

Let me know how it goes.. I was thinking of malting then trying to roast them and replace the oatmeal in a stout recipe with them.

At minimum if successful, could be onto a local specialty brew for the Canadian and North Dakota region

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 AM   #32
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Y'see, this is why I love this forum!

Call me uncreative, but I hadn't even thought about going chocolate or crystal/caramel lentil malt - just sprout, grow, couch, dry...maybe kiln or toast a little, but that was it. Your lentil stout idea's sorta at the opposite end of the spectrum from my Cream Ale/CAP idea...

If, in fact, malted, dried lentils are oatmeal-ish - they could add some body to a lighter beer, and roasted would be pretty awesome in a stout.

I'll keep my progress posted!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1284 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 591

If the beans arent malted, you may consider an Beano mash. Making a 1 Gal Lintel SMaSH

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
CDGoin
Recipes 

As lintels have a naturally occurring amylase inhibitor, that would (or does) inhibit fermentation. YOur right you could use Beano.. but I rather not go that route at first. I am not sure about Boreal, but I want to try to keep this as all natural as possible.

Also according to a horticulture website

Quote:
Soaking lentil seeds for 12 hours and then sprouting 3-4 days has been found to completely remove all haemagglutinin and amylase inhibitor.
Which would seem to indicate if we malted them, we should be able to get them to ferment on their own.

So note to Boreal, the "standard" sprouting of a barley or something.. may not work. We may have to wait longer before stopping the growth of the seedling. As noted in my comment above.

The Original Experiment may not have let the beans sprout long enough. As we know the only thing that truly fermented in his batch was the Brown sugar.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #35
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Could you not just try them as an adjunct first (20-30%), say with some six row, and a stepped mash.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #36
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does the information that shows that sprouting them removing the amylase inhibitor also show they have a natural source of amylase? I would sprout and dry the lentils in the oven at low heat and once dry crack them or mill them to break up the size to increase the lauter and conversion effects. If they do not have their own amylase then you will want to convert them with some two row or six row, unless you want them to add only unconverted starches. The post on that blog did not mention milling the lentils after drying which could have caused the majority of the starches to be stuck inside the lentil.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #37
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Hi guys!

I'm sprouting them using this site as my guide - def. not a beer making/malting site...but little do they know they're aiding and abetting this experiment...

I thought about beano mashing when this thread started up - but, much like the OP, I'm going for something as natural as possible. The recipe I plan to use will use them as an adjunct, accounting for ~15-20% of fermentables...they're taking the place of soybean grits, which would have no enzymatic activity...so I'm guessing this should work.

I realize to use the lentils this way, I probably don't have to malt them. Malting is fun, though, and really, "lentilmalz" sounds so cool....

Here, for the world to see, is my plan for the lentils:

1. Sprout according to the Lentils.ca guidelines. Kinda. I'm not messing around with a mason jar and screen, I'm using a 4L bucket I sprout barley in for malting.

2. Allow the sprouts to grow for 2-3 days, depending on how they look and taste. I want a brewing adjunct, not salad fixin's!

3. Dry @ 95F for 4h. Then, kiln at ~200F for 1 hour. I've made some decent pale malt this way in the past.

4. Split batch, and continue kilning a small portion @ ~200F for a few hours, with spraying (I can't resist making Munchenlentilmalz - the drafters of the Reinheitsgebot will spin in their Teutonic graves!)

5. Grind in a mortar and pestle until the lentil malt is in about 2-millimetre sqaure chunks. Why 2mm? That's slightly bigger than the holes on my brewing bag, and this is definitely going to be a stove-top, 1-Gallon BIAB experiment!

6. Brew this beer, scaled for 1-gal, using lentil malt in place of soy grits. Soy grits can't taste that much better or worse than homemade amateur lentil malt, right?

The Munchenlentilmalz will stay out of the initial batch. It might get eaten, if it tastes good, before it makes it into a beer, necessitating more experimentation. Or, it might get used in subsequent batch.

Step 1 is underway. Step 2 is a matter of time, and really, in the lentils hands.

I'm open to suggestions, though, folks. Let me know if you see any glaringly obvious holes in my ideas, please!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #38
CDGoin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebrewer View Post
Could you not just try them as an adjunct first (20-30%), say with some six row, and a stepped mash.
That's what I was thinking..

Use them as a replacement for the oatmeal in a oatmeal stout..

Boreal was looking going the other side of the equation..

Thanks for all the tips guys..

On a different subject.. but also a weird idea.. but one I could do easily.. What do you think of this use of the 2L growler from deep woods and some ingenuity ?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

http://www.gate2biotech.com/barley-m...ced-by-legume/

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #40
CDGoin
Recipes 

Yep.. posted that earlier in the thread

Quick Reply