Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wierd Idea..?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #131
feinbera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD1 View Post
What is with all these deaths on this site lately? The guy who started the "glass carboy with hole on top" thread, is also for all intents and purposes, dead. I have no intentions of ever putting beans in my beer, but damn I really want to know if this worked.
Ha! I almost posted "hmm, wonder if he got it working, only to try some kind of weird alternative fermentables in it, and ended up like all those guys on the lentil thread?"

Seriously, guys, us armchair bean-mashers don't even care if it was an abject failure at this point, we just want closure!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #132
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

this is The Sopranos of internet forum threads

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #133
radog
Recipes 

Well it's unrelated, my plans for mashing are Buckwheat, Teff and then Amaranth, but I'm getting 5lbs of malted sunflower seeds in a few weeks from a friend that works at a homebrew shop, and I'll ask him if he knows anything about people dying from lentil beer.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #134
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Okay, here's the report.

Round one: The lentil malt cream ale turned out to be a decent beer. The colour was a light orange-brown (I assume from the orange lentils). I used BRY-97 California Yeast from Danstar, and hopped lightly (~10 IBU) with Willamette, and threw in a tad of Mt. Hood at 5 for a bit of aroma.

There was no legume or bean flavour. The aroma was good - the Mt Hoods were there, but not overpowering. The head was thick, and had a weird iridescent quality to it - like there was dish soap or gasoline in the beer - but no effect on the flavour. My guess is some protein from the lentils, not found in normal brewing grains, is the culprit.

I invited a random assortment of friends over to try the beer, and recorded their comments. I told them I had a cream ale for them to try, and there was a mystery ingredient in the grist. I had two women and two men, lest there be an off-flavour better detected by those without a Y-chromosome.

Please note: none of these people are beer judges, but Foodie has taken a "better brewing" course through our local micro. All of them, in their own way, enjoy beer.

My tasting panel:

1. The Foodie/Beer Guy (Male): "I like this - it's sweet...is the mystery ingredient a different colour of corn? Not that Sleeman's is my favourite, but kinda like a Sleeman's". (he was referring to their honey-brown lager.)

2. The Picky-Palleted Female Colleague: "I'd buy this. I'd drink this."

3. My BMC-swilling cousin (Male): "I only get one? Dude, it's gone. Drinks easy. More flavour than Bud, less than MGD".

4. My craft-beer snob cousin (Female): "It's a cream ale. I'm waiting for the big reveal, because there's some complexity beyond what I'd expect...but really, nothing special. Or nasty. Which, because I'm drinking an experiment, is probably okay."

I've since taken this brew to an after-work BBQ party, where it was well-received.

So, world, there it is. To the tune of 15% of the grist in a light cream ale style beer, malted orange lentils work as a brewing adjunct. I've got round two, in which I increased the lentilmalz to 20%, in the cold right now.

Thanks to CDGoin for prompting the brew, and to Biermuncher - the lentilbrau is essentially Cream of Three Crops, with lentilmalz taking the place of the corn.

Sorry about the lag time between starting and posting (Maybe this will be more like the "Arrested Development" of threads), but for those of you who hung in there, thanks.

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #135
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBrewer View Post
Okay, here's the report.

Round one: The lentil malt cream ale turned out to be a decent beer. The colour was a light orange-brown (I assume from the orange lentils). I used BRY-97 California Yeast from Danstar, and hopped lightly (~10 IBU) with Willamette, and threw in a tad of Mt. Hood at 5 for a bit of aroma.

There was no legume or bean flavour. The aroma was good - the Mt Hoods were there, but not overpowering. The head was thick, and had a weird iridescent quality to it - like there was dish soap or gasoline in the beer - but no effect on the flavour. My guess is some protein from the lentils, not found in normal brewing grains, is the culprit.

I invited a random assortment of friends over to try the beer, and recorded their comments. I told them I had a cream ale for them to try, and there was a mystery ingredient in the grist. I had two women and two men, lest there be an off-flavour better detected by those without a Y-chromosome.

Please note: none of these people are beer judges, but Foodie has taken a "better brewing" course through our local micro. All of them, in their own way, enjoy beer.

My tasting panel:

1. The Foodie/Beer Guy (Male): "I like this - it's sweet...is the mystery ingredient a different colour of corn? Not that Sleeman's is my favourite, but kinda like a Sleeman's". (he was referring to their honey-brown lager.)

2. The Picky-Palleted Female Colleague: "I'd buy this. I'd drink this."

3. My BMC-swilling cousin (Male): "I only get one? Dude, it's gone. Drinks easy. More flavour than Bud, less than MGD".

4. My craft-beer snob cousin (Female): "It's a cream ale. I'm waiting for the big reveal, because there's some complexity beyond what I'd expect...but really, nothing special. Or nasty. Which, because I'm drinking an experiment, is probably okay."

I've since taken this brew to an after-work BBQ party, where it was well-received.

So, world, there it is. To the tune of 15% of the grist in a light cream ale style beer, malted orange lentils work as a brewing adjunct. I've got round two, in which I increased the lentilmalz to 20%, in the cold right now.

Thanks to CDGoin for prompting the brew, and to Biermuncher - the lentilbrau is essentially Cream of Three Crops, with lentilmalz taking the place of the corn.

Sorry about the lag time between starting and posting (Maybe this will be more like the "Arrested Development" of threads), but for those of you who hung in there, thanks.
glad it turned out well

even more glad that you didn't get invaded by the bean beer body snatchers

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #136
radog
Recipes 

The suspense almost killed me, glad the beans didn't kill you. And the beer came out alright! Thanks so much for delving into this experiment and treading boldly where few if any beanos have gone before.

Any way you can get us a picture, I'm curious about the color and clarity and the "weird iridescent quality" if you can capture it on film, and did you end up using rice along with the lentil? How did you end up mashing it? Sorry if the barrage of questions is annoying, hopefully you can just copy paste from your brew log.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #137
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Hey Radog (et al),

Pics, and a full description of the process, will be coming shortly. I'm away from my brewing notes this week (its deer season here!!!), but from bulk bin to brewing to beer will be up soon.

Pics - I plan to document the process with pictures over the next few weeks, maybe on a new thread. I thought I'd have lots of opportunity to take pictures of this experiment - but after the taste test, word got out in my little (thirsty) circle and lentilbrau 1.0 disappeared fast!

Until I have pics - clarity-wise, I could read a newspaper through a pint! I did use some rice in the brew, but plan to cut down/eliminate the rice in this next go round.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #138
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Hey Radog (et al),

Pics, and a full description of the process, will be coming shortly. I'm away from my brewing notes this week (its deer season here!!!), but from bulk bin to brewing to beer will be up soon.

Pics - I plan to document the process with pictures over the next few weeks, maybe on a new thread. I thought I'd have lots of opportunity to take pictures of this experiment - but after the taste test, word got out in my little (thirsty) circle and lentilbrau 1.0 disappeared fast!

Until I have pics - clarity-wise, I could read a newspaper through a pint! I did use some rice in the brew, but plan to cut down/eliminate the rice in this next go round.

Quick Reply