Widmer Hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev

Reaction score
Ok, I think I have everything dialed in correctly to promash and just bought my
grain, hops and yeast today. Total grain bill 11.25 lbs.

Let me know how this looks to you guys, especially the mash schedule. Thanks!

-------oOo-------

Widmer Hefeweizen

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.25
Anticipated OG: 1.062 Plato: 15.20
Anticipated SRM: 6.6
Anticipated IBU: 36.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.053 SG 13.02 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
44.4 5.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
44.4 5.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
6.7 0.75 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
4.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 28.5 60 min.
0.50 oz. Tettnanger Whole 4.50 4.8 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 3.2 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Marin County CA
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 12.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 10.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 15.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 17.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 13.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 74.0 ppm

pH: 8.31

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name: mash

Total Grain Lbs: 11.25
Total Water Qts: 11.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 2.81 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mash 5 60 152 152 Infuse 166 11.25 1.00

Total Water Qts: 11.25 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 2.81 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.71 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

I think you've got too much bitterness there. I think hefe's usually have around 20 IBUs max.

Are you just doing a single infusion? You might do a little better with efficiency if you do a short rest at 122' and then step up to 152'.

Also, I'm just curious why you went with the munich and crystal. I'm not saying it'll turn out bad, but I doubt Widmer Hefeweizen has that much of those malts, if any.

Good luck!

Lil' Sparky said:
I think you've got too much bitterness there. I think hefe's usually have around 20 IBUs max.

Are you just doing a single infusion? You might do a little better with efficiency if you do a short rest at 122' and then step up to 152'.

Also, I'm just curious why you went with the munich and crystal. I'm not saying it'll turn out bad, but I doubt Widmer Hefeweizen has that much of those malts, if any.

Good luck!

I can cut down on the hopping a bit, all of this is why I am asking for what people think of the recipe. I plan on batch sparging this one.

I took some ideas from the link here:

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/15516/17699.html?1062442219

-- Trev

This is from Widmer's website :

Our Flagship - America's Original Hefeweizen
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb. Ever since Widmer introduced Hefeweizen to America in 1986, ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged.
1998 and 2006 GABF Gold Medal Award Winner
2004 Gold Medal Beer Cup

availability year-round
bitterness 30 IBU
alcohol by volume 4.9%
original gravity 11.75° PLATO
malts PALE, MUNICH, WHEAT,
CARAMEL 40L
hops BITTERING: ALCHEMY
AROMA: WILLAMETTE,
CASCADE
goes well with A WIDE RANGE OF FOODS FROM SALADS TO SEAFOOD TO ROBUST ETHNIC FOODS

apparatus said:
This is from Widmer's website :

Our Flagship - America's Original Hefeweizen
A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb. Ever since Widmer introduced Hefeweizen to America in 1986, ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged.
1998 and 2006 GABF Gold Medal Award Winner
2004 Gold Medal Beer Cup

availability year-round
bitterness 30 IBU
alcohol by volume 4.9%
original gravity 11.75° PLATO
malts PALE, MUNICH, WHEAT,
CARAMEL 40L
hops BITTERING: ALCHEMY
AROMA: WILLAMETTE,
CASCADE
goes well with A WIDE RANGE OF FOODS FROM SALADS TO SEAFOOD TO ROBUST ETHNIC FOODS

Hmm. that's interesting. I wonder what type of caramel they are using at 40L.
The only thing I can think of off hand is CaraMunich 40.. Seems odd.

-- Trev

Found a post on this one after searching. It seems I am right about in line (I hope) :)

-------oOo-------

EDIT> found it!:
From the September 94 issue of All About Beer Magazine:

Quote:
"Hefe-Weizen a la Widmer Brewing":

1 BBL recipe: 31 gallons/117 liters (divide by 6 to make 5 gallons)

25 lbs (11.3kg) American wheat malt
25 lbs (11.3kg) American two-row barley malt
3 lbs, 2 oz (1.4kg) Munich malt
1 lb, 3 oz (540gms) 40L carmel malt
11 oz (312gm) American Tettnanger hops
3 oz (85gm) American Cascade hops

Mash in at 120 degrees F (49C), hold 60 minutes. Raise to 158F (70C) for conversion. Boil wort about 1:30 plus; whirlpool. Ferment with a good ale yeast. Do not filter.
Original gravity: 11 plato
(SG: 1.044); 4.5 % alcohol
Terminal 2.1 plato
(SG: 1.008)
color 7 SRM
They imply that this is Widmer's actual recipe. You'll note that no AA% is given for the hops and the yeast is a little vague! I'd go with the WLP320. I think the critical ingredients may be that yeast and the munich malt.

After reading around, I think it would be safe to drop down to .5 lbs. of munich.

The rest, I think looks half way decent and hey, it shouldn't turn out that bad, this is beer we're talking about.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

-- Trev

Lil' Sparky said:

Good luck!

Interesting posts re: Widmer. I'm actually surprised about a few things. I've had it a few times and it didn't seem like a 30 IBU beer, nor did it seem to have much munich or crystal character. I'd shoot low on those.

I still think a protein rest will help.

Make sure you let us know how it turns out.

Cheers :mug:

Course I'll let everyone know how it turns out. This one I'll be taking pictures and probably video of the violent turbulence of the yeast taking action.

I'll be doing a blow off with this one. My wife would kill me if there was beer spewed all over the closet down stairs. :cross:

My Fat Tire clone is turning out pretty good for my first AG. I'm loving Palmer's book and Promash. I just jumped right into this after only brewing 3 extracts. I swear that AG is the only way to fly! :)

I'm going to drop down on the munich a bit and may on the Crystal 40 too. Like I said, I'm looking for suggestions and appreciate all the help I can get with my 2nd AG.

I may try to factor in a second step to my mash but so far I am going to really be pulling one out of my arse with this as a second AG because I am going to do a yeast starter as well.

-- Trev

I just tried it for the first time last week and didn't seem like it had alot going on. I would cut back a little on the crystal and cut back on the hops for sure. 30 IBU's seems like way too much, it sure doesn't taste like it has 30 IBU's. I know a brewer who worked for Red Hook and they make Widmer on the east coast under contract, I'll see what he can tell me about the recipe.

Thanks man. I would love to hear what he has to say. I am brewing this weekend and hope to have the recipe dialed in by then.

Again, thanks!

-- Trev

Go with the higher hops for sure,they give it more flavor,but cut the 40L in half.I make a very similar recipe and a quarter lb is plenty(for 5 gals) in my experience.
Cheers:mug:

Thanks guy. I will go for 1/4 lbs. crystal 40L and perhaps 1/4lbs. munich malt 2 row?

Can you post your recipe or advise?

Many thanks!!

Cheers,

-- Trev

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm brewing a Widmer clone this afternoon. It's very similar to the recipe posted, all ingredients are the same, you're just using a little bit more. I'm shooting for 4.8% abv and 30 IBU.

Anyways, this will be my second AG, and it needs to be a Step mash. What's the simplest way to do this? Should I only add some of my mash water for a very thick 123 degree mash, then add the rest at higher temperatures to hit 152? Or should I add it all, do my initial mash in my brewpot with the mash jacket over it, then heat it up on the fryer to 152 and transfer to my mash tun? Thanks!

-Ben

PS Let's make sure to compare beers once these bad boys are done.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever made a more bitter hefe? Curious to know how a 30 IBU would taste. I sometimes find hefe's flavorful but a bit .. weak.

Chillhayze made a "hoppy hefe" that was very tasty, but it didn't really taste like a hefe at all to me. The flavor was dominated by the hops, not the yeast. Again - a very nice beer, I just wouldn't consider it a hefe.

If you're doing flavor-hop additions, you're really risking overwhelming the fairly delicate yeast flavor that makes a hefe a hefe.

SkaBoneBenny said:
Anyways, this will be my second AG, and it needs to be a Step mash. What's the simplest way to do this? Should I only add some of my mash water for a very thick 123 degree mash, then add the rest at higher temperatures to hit 152? Or should I add it all, do my initial mash in my brewpot with the mash jacket over it, then heat it up on the fryer to 152 and transfer to my mash tun? Thanks!

You can do it either way. I was never able to nail the temp on the 2nd infusion. The temp always seemed to be a little short. Do you have any brewing s/w? They've got all the formulas. Or you could use Papazian or Palmer's books. Palmer's got all his formulas online here: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html

I've got a direct fire MLT now and step mashes are easy. I just set the burner very low and stir constantly and don't have any problems.

SkaBoneBenny said:
Not to hijack this thread, but I'm brewing a Widmer clone this afternoon. It's very similar to the recipe posted, all ingredients are the same, you're just using a little bit more. I'm shooting for 4.8% abv and 30 IBU.

-Ben

PS Let's make sure to compare beers once these bad boys are done.

Sure thing! :) I'll be taking pictures and a quick video of the violent initial fermentation. :)

If you're going to do a protein rest (step mash - decoction) you have to start by infusing to the Conversion Rest at 150-155F for 30-50 minutes.

Then Pull 40% of mash (thinner) heat slowly to 160F rest for 20 minutes then heat to boiling for 20-50 minutes then add back to mashtun.

This is a general rule of thumb and not accurate to your recipe.

V = G (R + 0.32)
where:
V = total volume in quarts
G = dry weight of grain in pounds
R = water-to-grain ratio by quarts per pound

This is straight from "How to Brew" by John Palmer, if you don't have a copy I suggest that if you are going to be brewing AG that you pickup a copy.

It's not hard to figure this out if you have beersmith or promash. I did this in promash and it does most of the math for you.

I will be skipping the protein rest on this as it's only my second AG and I want things to go more smoothly than my last, which had a few mishaps. :)

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I'll be doing mine on Sunday.

-- Trev

Just wanted to clarify - a rest at 150-155 is a saccrification rest not a protein rest. You want to rest at 122' first, then raise the temp to 150-155'.

Then Pull 40% of mash (thinner) heat slowly to 160F rest for 20 minutes then heat to boiling for 20-50 minutes then add back to mashtun.

This I really don't understand. It sounds kind of like a decoction, but with that you pull the thickest, not thinnest part of the mash, and I'm not sure that you have to boil it that long.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-4.html

Lil' Sparky said:
Just wanted to clarify - a rest at 150-155 is a saccrification rest not a protein rest. You want to rest at 122' first, then raise the temp to 150-155'.

This I really don't understand. It sounds kind of like a decoction, but with that you pull the thickest, not thinnest part of the mash, and I'm not sure that you have to boil it that long.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-4.html

Thank you....I was about to blow a gasket!

Back