Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why you should never get lazy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Why you should never get lazy

I have a tendency to over simplify things. At least that is my excuse for being lazy

Over my last, I dunno, 20 beers or so, I have used between 10-12 lbs of grain and instead of calculating my exact mash thickness, I always just went with 3.5 gallons. That put me between 1.2 and 1.4 quarts per pound of grain. Well, I decided that I had too much high alc beer laying around and wanted to brew something a little more 'drinkable'. This batch of beer had only an eight pound grain bill. Well, in my infinite wisdom, I didn't really think about it and just went through the motions and added my grain to 3.5 gallons of water. Which comes out to 1.75 quarts per pound. Woops. By the time I realized it I was already mashing.

And that, boys and girls is why you should never get lazy.

Didn't really matter though. I still ended up with 74% efficiency and she is bubbling away as we speak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

its hard not too be lazy when you have a computer program doing all the calculations for you

Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hm, yeah, I can't fathom doing a from-scratch recipe without something like ProMash. Glad it worked out for you, but...lazy or no, you'll be sorry when you screw up a batch because you didn't sufficiently plan ahead.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've never really used a program. I use Qbrew to calculate my gravities and IBU's but other than that, there is no need for anything else. Calculating mash thickness is very easy if you actually do it.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

My point was that when you use something like ProMash, you tend to have a better handle on the global situation---like a checklist of sorts---and you tend to miss stuff less often. I'm not saying you need ProMash to calculate your mash thickness, but since it's part of your mash design process, you would be forced to acknowledge it and thus make sure you've remembered to figure it out.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Regardful of your opinion there EVAN!, It can be calculated by hand.

I am sure, however, that the program pays for itself thousands of times over.

I myself have only done BYO AG recipes thus far, and the amounts are provided.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
Regardful of your opinion there EVAN!, It can be calculated by hand.
Pretty much everything can be calculated by hand, but if i were doing that, I'd also like to have myself a global checklist of stuff to deal with prior to brewing. But it doesn't take an especially lazy person to want to drop all of $20 on a program to save the time and effort. Given that the OP claims to be exceptionally lazy, I'm guessing a brewing program might be a perfect fit.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think I have read recently that the grain is fully wetted with 1qt per lb and every thing else is just adding volume. Dont take my word for it though.

damn I gotta brew something

Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian
I think I have read recently that the grain is fully wetted with 1qt per lb and every thing else is just adding volume. Dont take my word for it though.
You may be fully wetted, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a difference. Thicker mashes tend to result in a less-fermentable wort, thinner mashes in a more-fermentable wort, all thinks being equal. So, you might end up with a slightly thinner beer than you planned on (the impact is less severe than had you mashed at a lower temperature, however).

1.7 qts/lb is thin, but I have heard of some mashes being closer to 2.0 qts/pound. IIRC, some decocted mashes are closer to the 2.0 ratio (I'll have to check in with Kaiser or one of the other decoction experts to confirm that, however).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
My point was that when you use something like ProMash, you tend to have a better handle on the global situation---like a checklist of sorts---and you tend to miss stuff less often. I'm not saying you need ProMash to calculate your mash thickness, but since it's part of your mash design process, you would be forced to acknowledge it and thus make sure you've remembered to figure it out.
Good point. I see what you are saying now. I think I misunderstood your original post.

And FWIW, I am not exceptionally lazy. I just like to poke fun at myself when I do something stupid.

Quick Reply