Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why take a pre-boil hydrometer reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Why take a pre-boil hydrometer reading?

I hear a lot about guys taking a pre-boil hydromter reading and a post boil hydrometer reading.. I have always taken only a post-boil reading before pitching yeast.. What is the advantage of the pre-boil reading? Is it for figuring mash efficiency?

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
I hear a lot about guys taking a pre-boil hydromter reading and a post boil hydrometer reading.. I have always taken only a post-boil reading before pitching yeast.. What is the advantage of the pre-boil reading? Is it for figuring mash efficiency?
It's actually for figuring efficiency. I use it for a couple of reasons- one is that I'm still figuring out my efficiency since I got my new barley crusher. My efficiency is much higher than it was- so if I know my efficiency I can adjust my hopping so that I still get the correct IBU/SG ratio and the correct amount of IBUs. Another reason is if your efficiency is low, you can add some DME before the boil to boost the OG up so that your beer is still balanced. I guess that's only one reason, when you think about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply