New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why spend $$ on custom BIAB bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #31
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I stirred in the middle then just let drain over a colander for about 15 minutes while I heated sparge water. I squeezed as much as I could then sparged with the rest of the pre boil projected volume. I had to sparge much more because so much sugar was still in there even after squeezing again. Hard work to say the least and I'm just starting my boil. Gravity is quite off because my volume is now 1/2 gallon over. 90 min boil or more should take care of that. Still a long night ahead. . . .

Next time I'll use a large bucket fermenter which will work much better than my 2 gallon pot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #32
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyFarmBrewing
I ordered one from http://www.bagbrewer.com and the guy made it to perfectly fit my specific 10g pot and had it to me in three days. That was well worth $35 to me. I have used it 10 times so far and it is perfect. I have brewed an IIPA with 16.25 pounds of grain in it, and an Imperial Stout with 16.75. to me the handles are key because I have a hook screwed into a garage beam right above my pot so I just hoist it up to the hook, and fire up the burner while it drains.
Sure you can save a few bucks, but I bet this bag lasts a lot longer than paint strainer bags so in the end it might not be much, and with all the money I have invested in brewing, $35 for a key piece of the puzzle is pretty insignificant.
I actually might order another one made to fit my 7g pot so I can double up on brew day!
+1 I order a bag from Jeff too. I ordered from Him because I read great reviews, the keggle design, and he sent me a pic of his bag holding 60lbs of sand. That's worth 35 bucks to me.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #33
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
If you can sew...and have a machine a voile bag is key...if not ....wink
+1

Using my bag right now, wilserbrewer!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #34
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Well I had planned on making my own bag, but Joanne fabrics changed my mind when I saw $12.99 a yard for voile! Are there different types of voile? From everything I have seen on here it should only be a couple bucks. Looks like I might be giving someone a call to see if I can have a bag here by next weekend to brew.

Quick Reply