Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why spend $$ on custom BIAB bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
HopKeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I recently upgraded to a keggle and the wine bag was too small. I found a pretty cheap and easy solution. I bought one of those nylon laundry bags w/ a drawstring, which you can find in almost any dept, big box, grocery store. I then lined it with a voile fabric curtain- sewing up the sides. Cost less than $10.
If you're wondering, the reason I didn't use the laundry bag alone, it's because the holes are too large. And the reason I didn't use the voile alone was because I wanted the draw string. Used it for the forst time last weekend. Worked great and the laundry bag was more than up for the task.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle

Just means I'd have to buy another pot . . which is not economically efficient for me. It all depends on what you have on hand and in my case I don't care too much about the weight and brew beer to save money . . . although a fraction of it IS hobbyism. Two pots = two pots to manage. One pot for me is to mash and boil. I do have a smaller 2 gallon pot I've used for steeping grains when I do extract and will use for sparging.
I'm confused - would you need two pots because of the two bags or because you can't fit all the grains? I use two bags, one pot.they don't need to fit over /around the rim. I split the grain between the bags, and bungee each one off each side of the pot. Mash into each bag separately to be sure it is all stirred up, then cinch the bag, and do the next one. If you watch the brewing tv episode "jakes got a brand new bag" you'll get the idea - even though he uses only one bag.

If you just can't get all your needed water in one pot, well then this won't help.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Just means I'd have to buy another pot . . which is not economically efficient for me. It all depends on what you have on hand and in my case I don't care too much about the weight and brew beer to save money . . . although a fraction of it IS hobbyism. Two pots = two pots to manage. One pot for me is to mash and boil. I do have a smaller 2 gallon pot I've used for steeping grains when I do extract and will use for sparging.
This is where you've gone off track...

Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Really? I can put down 6-12 bucks a bottle for a good belgian or craft beer or I can brew it myself. Essentially the purpose is to enjoy the same type of brew for a fraction of the cost as money is not so disposable to me as it may be to you. I put my passion into other more important things rather than just brewing beer my friend. That's nice that you idolize beer brewing, enjoy.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
djbradle
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
I'm confused - would you need two pots because of the two bags or because you can't fit all the grains? I use two bags, one pot.they don't need to fit over /around the rim. I split the grain between the bags, and bungee each one off each side of the pot. Mash into each bag separately to be sure it is all stirred up, then cinch the bag, and do the next one. If you watch the brewing tv episode "jakes got a brand new bag" you'll get the idea - even though he uses only one bag.

If you just can't get all your needed water in one pot, well then this won't help.
I can fit all the grains . . . and the water in one bag in one pot. Like I said whatever works for you. I've watched the Brewingtv episode many times which is why I am starting biab. He just didn't sparge in that episode which WILL give better efficiency but makes more time. Just letting the bag drain will reduce your sugar extraction. This is well documented. If I am able to sparge and mashout by dunking and pouring with another pot (which is on hand) then I will indeed grab more of the sugars from the grain giving a higher efficiency. I'd prefer not to use two 5 gallon paint strainers for the mere purpose of not having to manage two bags.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #16
notahopguyyet
Recipes 

I have a ten gallon brewers best pot...a 2'x3' bag isn't wide enough to fit around the rim. I'm in the process of ordering a custom bag.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #17
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you can sew...and have a machine a voile bag is key...if not ....wink

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I bought a sheer voile curtain and Mom sewed me up a couple of bag in about 15 minutes. Cost $5 and me making dinner for Mom. Actually I sewed up my own hop bag out of some extra material.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found a local alteration shop that sewed me a couple of bags for $12.00. I cut the fabric to taper at the bottom to drain cleaner. Paid less than 5.00 for the fabric. The scraps work well tied around my racking cane as a filter when I siphon the beer out of my fermentors as well.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
SparklyFarmBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I ordered one from http://www.bagbrewer.com and the guy made it to perfectly fit my specific 10g pot and had it to me in three days. That was well worth $35 to me. I have used it 10 times so far and it is perfect. I have brewed an IIPA with 16.25 pounds of grain in it, and an Imperial Stout with 16.75. to me the handles are key because I have a hook screwed into a garage beam right above my pot so I just hoist it up to the hook, and fire up the burner while it drains.
Sure you can save a few bucks, but I bet this bag lasts a lot longer than paint strainer bags so in the end it might not be much, and with all the money I have invested in brewing, $35 for a key piece of the puzzle is pretty insignificant.
I actually might order another one made to fit my 7g pot so I can double up on brew day!

Quick Reply