Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why should I buy a grain mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 314

I want to try brew-in-a-bag and that can take a finer crush or grind since stuck sparge isn't a problem. I live 30 minutes from the LHBS and they don't have a crusher either (very small section of a small store) so I'd have to order from someone online and shipping is exorbitant to this area. I bought a grain mill for about the shipping for 2 orders.

I don't drink a lot of beer so I wouldn't benefit from bulk purchase of milled grain. It would go bad before I could use it up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do partial mash (5 lbs per batch), and have about 100 lbs of grain; a few different base malts and lots of specialty malts. Having a mill and lots of grain, I don't have to worry about if my LHBS has what I want, and I can make changes on the fly.

I buy some grain from my LHBS, but I buy most on-line because it works out cheaper. Buying larger quantities on-line reduces the effective $/lb of shipping.

I bought a Corona mill ($30 on-line from Buy.com with free shipping). I couldn't justify the cost of a Barley Crusher. When I started using the Corona mill (works great) my efficiency went from 70% to 80%.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I do partial mash (5 lbs per batch), and have about 100 lbs of grain; a few different base malts and lots of specialty malts. Having a mill and lots of grain, I don't have to worry about if my LHBS has what I want, and I can make changes on the fly.

I buy some grain from my LHBS, but I buy most on-line because it works out cheaper. Buying larger quantities on-line reduces the effective $/lb of shipping.

I bought a Corona mill ($30 on-line from Buy.com with free shipping). I couldn't justify the cost of a Barley Crusher. When I started using the Corona mill (works great) my efficiency went from 70% to 80%.
What crush size do you use?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
mattldm
Recipes 

I used to buy my grain from milled from AHS, but then I bought a grain mill and started doing my own. My efficiencies have gone up around 5% and I can now buy bulk grain and save $7-$10 per batch... The cost of the mill will be made up in ten batches.
Its worth the money!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I just adjusted it the first time to give a relatively fine crush of the kernel, but leaving the husk relatively whole, and have not touched it since. I got an immediate increase in efficiency that has remained.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #16
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

'cause if feels really, really good to grind the snot out of grains. Sure, order from you're on-line shop and have them smash it...but nothing feels better than doing anything yourself.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Calder, I found this one on Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/prod/cereal-multi...211099781.html Looks like the standard "old school style" mill... Great price too. Pays for itself pretty fast when you get bulk grains (compared with getting them from the LHBS)... Plus, you can give purchased milled grains a second run to ensure they're at a good crush size for you.

Woodstone, whatever gives you pleasure... Grinding grains with a cranking mill could give someone pleasure... Me, I'll probably adapt mine pretty early to take my cordless drill to make it a bit easier on the old arms... Considering how my 'light' recipe's average about 12 pounds of grain in them, I don't think I'll do many all by hand...

Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I use the "Victoria" version of the Corona mill. Some people say use the width of a CD. I've read somebody say use a credit card (including the raised letters) to determine the spacing between the plates. What you need to do is crush until you're getting NO whole grains. This can mean a significant amount of flour, which is kind of scary, but I just dialed it down until I was hitting my Brix numbers in the wort with no trouble, and had no whole grains that I could detect. So far (maybe 20 batches) I've had no troubles with a stuck sparge or anything.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I use the "Victoria" version of the Corona mill. Some people say use the width of a CD. I've read somebody say use a credit card (including the raised letters) to determine the spacing between the plates. What you need to do is crush until you're getting NO whole grains. This can mean a significant amount of flour, which is kind of scary, but I just dialed it down until I was hitting my Brix numbers in the wort with no trouble, and had no whole grains that I could detect. So far (maybe 20 batches) I've had no troubles with a stuck sparge or anything.
Problem with the credit card gauge is mine don't have raised letters anymore. I do have a dial caliper that I could use though.

Loving how I'm able to use my reloading equipment in brewing...

Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #20
Calder
Recipes 

Quote:
Calder, I found this one on Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/prod/cereal-multi...211099781.html Looks like the standard "old school style" mill... Great price too. Pays for itself pretty fast when you get bulk grains (compared with getting them from the LHBS)... Plus, you can give purchased milled grains a second run to ensure they're at a good crush size for you.
That's the one I got a year ago. Just a couple of comments on it.

It's good to have the bigger hopper (as this one has). It holds about 2 lbs. If you want bigger, I think you can fashion a milk container to add on the top.

You can replace the bolt in the handle with one with a square drive and run it with an electric drill. The thread is metric so you will need to go to the specialty area of the hardware store. I found a bolt in Lowes. Although I can drive it with a drill, I just hand crank. It only takes a couple of minutes of cranking for 5 lbs of grain.

It sits low to a table. Just a couple of inches clearance. You can fashion it to clamp on some wood and run straight into a bucket. Me I just place a low ceramic oven pan under it to catch the grain and tip it into a large bowl when full.

Quick Reply