Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why Not Start Home Brewing w/ All Grain Method?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #61
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm always asked if one should go straight to all grain (or if it's practical). I know you can but I always suggest a different approach. Start with a large boil kettle, like a 10 gallon that is ready to go for all grain. Get an immersion chiller. Figure out how you're going to pitch enough yeast and how you're going to keep the fermenter cool. Now... brew a batch of extract beer and prove to yourself that you can handle 6 gallons of wort from boil to ferment. If you can't master that portion of it, there's no reason to spend 4 extra hours manufacturing wort from grain. Spend a few batches getting used to full volume wort and clean ferments and THEN make wort from grain. It's a very logical progression.

Sorry, I really do think that there are just too many ways to fail starting fresh with all grain.

Bobby M makes a lot of sense as usual.

I might have learned life old school.

Learning to swim my dad just threw me in with a grin.

Sink or survive, I'm sure he would've covered my side.

And if I sunk to the bottom, would have saved me from the tide.

Some people just learn better,

By jumping into the neather!

Why am the he!! am I trying to rhyme?

It just takes my mind off some troubling times.

Man, I did it again.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #62
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm always asked if one should go straight to all grain (or if it's practical). I know you can but I always suggest a different approach. Start with a large boil kettle, like a 10 gallon that is ready to go for all grain. Get an immersion chiller. Figure out how you're going to pitch enough yeast and how you're going to keep the fermenter cool. Now... brew a batch of extract beer and prove to yourself that you can handle 6 gallons of wort from boil to ferment. If you can't master that portion of it, there's no reason to spend 4 extra hours manufacturing wort from grain. Spend a few batches getting used to full volume wort and clean ferments and THEN make wort from grain. It's a very logical progression.

Sorry, I really do think that there are just too many ways to fail starting fresh with all grain.
I'll address this directly.

I started with a 1 gallon AG kit. It was easy.

Starting with a 5 gallon batch, I suppose i agree that if they don't have some line cook experience or something, they should probably be supervised by someone who's done it more than once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #63
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think its great going right to AG, I read a lot of posts that recommend proper planning, if you go to The Brewers Friend website they have a brew day check list, it's pretty detailed. I would also recommend using their brew log sheet so you can keep track of your brew days.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #64
r_u_maching_me
Recipes 

Go for it and don't look back. I did the same as you a jumped right to it. After reading a bunch of different resources and posts and even some horror stories I figured why not. As mentioned by others it is simply taking a recipe and adding ingredients. Sure there is more to it but people have been doing it for centuries. People seem to make it harder than it is. Make sure to take notes and get a game plan before going in. Have fun and it is awsome to poor your first pint and raise it for the first time.

Quick Reply