New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why Not Start Home Brewing w/ All Grain Method?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #21
corax
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The only substantial argument against it I can think of is attrition.

Lots of people brew one or two batches then never brew again. Much better for them to have spent tens of dollars on extract equipment than hundreds on all-grain equipment.

On the flip side of that, all-grain is a lot more engaging, and may have a lower attrition rate as a result.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
kraut
Recipes 

I am also switching to AG after my first batch. While I like the process of an extract brew, I didn't care for the lack of control over the final product. And all the extra stuff I bought I can re-utilize should I for some strange reason not want to brew anymore.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #23
AScott

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I started with all grain brewing. I am an avid home cook and baker. I did all the reading I could here, read Palmer's book, and decided that it's really just a process and a recipe. I can follow a recipe and the techniques don't have to be so advanced that they're difficult to perform. I actually started with a clone of jkarp's Countertop Brutus and I've not looked back (I really did dive right into it). I've never had to dump a batch (not even close) and I've only had one major "uh oh" moment (I blew an element by dry firing it).

I've started formulating my own recipes after 2 years of using other people's (with slight modifications for purposes of experimentation) and it's opened up a whole new avenue for my brewing.

All of the information you need is out there. You just have to find it (hint: a lot of great info is right here at HBT) and follow in the path blazed by previous brewers until you are confident with your process and abilities.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #24
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's like learning to drive a car with a stickshift rather than an automatic. A little more to coordinate but no reason the two can't be accomplished together.
My dad always used to say "If you can learn to drive on a stick shift you'll be able to drive ANYTHING after that!"

Looking back, I wish I would have jumped right in to AG. No reason not to in my opinion!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #25
TheOneBuz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier

My dad always used to say "If you can learn to drive on a stick shift you'll be able to drive ANYTHING after that!"

Looking back, I wish I would have jumped right in to AG. No reason not to in my opinion!
If you can dodge wrenches, you can dodge balls!
Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #26
Stauffbier

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneBuz View Post
If you can dodge wrenches, you can dodge balls!
HA! Funny, cuz my dad had a Lil' Red Express truck back then. I loved that truck. He taught me how to drive on that and a dune buggy we built from an old VW Bug...

EDIT: Sorry for being off topic OP!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #27
wilserbrewer
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

By all means go for the AG gusto...be careful and DO NOT BOILOVER! Approach carefully and reduce heat at say 200-205 degrees...one never forgets their first ________. you fill in the blank.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't think you can boil 6+ gallons on your stove, my friend did a batch last week on his electric stove and it took 6 hours and it was not a vigorous boil at all. He ordered a burner on Monday.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #29
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm not saying it can't be done but there is absolutely no downside to practicing wort handling and fermentation with malt extract. If those beers come out terrible, you know that the biggest hurdle is not holding grain at 150F. If you go right to all grain and the beer is terrible, well, you have a long troubleshooting road ahead.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
Oddball
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think most people don't go this route right off the bat due to accessibility and space. Like you said, you need to check if your stove can boil that much water....this is a set back for many people that are stuck brewing indoors.

Quick Reply