Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why Not Start Home Brewing w/ All Grain Method?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Water quality also becomes an issue when going AG, and that may require a goodly amount of research, if your water supply is iffy.

So if you go AG for the first time, consider using spring water until you find out if your local water supply uses chloramines and you send the water out for a water test to Ward Labs.

Actually, even if you're going to do extract batches you should find out if your water is treated with chloramines. 1/4 of a campden tablet per 5 gallons fixes the chloramine problem. Chloramine makes beer taste pretty nasty.

Some people never go this far with their water, I suppose, but in my opinion if you want to make truly excellent beers you're going to need to know what's in your water eventually.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have never brewed with extract. Started with a brooklyn brew shop all-grain kit.

I also learned to drive in a car with a stick shift, passed my driving test in a car with a stick shift, and my first 3 cars were all manuals.

Just the way i roll.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
ak-71
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
I also learned to drive in a car with a stick shift, passed my driving test in a car with a stick shift, and my first 3 cars were all manuals.

Just the way i roll.
When and where I was getting my license - EVERYBODY (like the whole (huge) country) took tests on manual and drove stick shift cars... Not a big deal if you don't have much options

Forum may make AG sound more complicated than it really is.
I fermented some "wort in the bag" kits and went AG. Extracts are expensive here and AG is not that complicated and much more fun.
I like my AG batches better than pe-made kits - I can make them the way I like

Old 06-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

No reason not to. I did two extract batches and then went right to BIAB nad haven't looked back. I definitely could have started on AG, and would recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It's like learning to drive a car with a stickshift rather than an automatic. A little more to coordinate but no reason the two can't be accomplished together.
This is a great analogy, and I am definitely going to start using it. Cheers!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Dan Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3140 Times on 1961 Posts
Likes Given: 2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
This is a great analogy, and I am definitely going to start using it. Cheers!
I had the exact same thought.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

I started with a Mr Beer kit as a gift from my wife for Christmas. I made 4 of their "kits" which I do not consider to be brewing. You mix the pre-hopped extract with some boiling water, cool, and pitch yeast. After that, I jumped headfirst into AG and have never looked back. It takes a lot of time and I like that, it is the only "me" time that I get and it's like meditation for me.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm always asked if one should go straight to all grain (or if it's practical). I know you can but I always suggest a different approach. Start with a large boil kettle, like a 10 gallon that is ready to go for all grain. Get an immersion chiller. Figure out how you're going to pitch enough yeast and how you're going to keep the fermenter cool. Now... brew a batch of extract beer and prove to yourself that you can handle 6 gallons of wort from boil to ferment. If you can't master that portion of it, there's no reason to spend 4 extra hours manufacturing wort from grain. Spend a few batches getting used to full volume wort and clean ferments and THEN make wort from grain. It's a very logical progression.

Sorry, I really do think that there are just too many ways to fail starting fresh with all grain.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

When I was a teenager I took guitar lessons because I thought that I needed to do that if I wanted to learn to play banjo. I was quickly told to go take banjo lessons. If you want to brew grain, brew grain.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My first batch was all grain, and that was the only 5 gallon batch I ever made.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
ryno84
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Not everybody has the time for a 4+ hour brewday. Also not everybody has space and money for extra equipment. So, extract can be a better option for some.

Quick Reply