The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why not more interest in 10 gallon batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Default Why not more interest in 10 gallon batches?

I've done about 40 all-grain 5 gallon batches so far. Recently, I've done a couple 10 gallon batches, and I have to say, I'm strongly considering moving to 10 gallon batches exclusively. It seems to me that for a slightly increased time investment (the additional heating/cooling adds a total of about an hour for me), I end up with twice as much beer.

Why don't more people do 10 gallon batches? Is it the issue of moving that much hot wort around? I confess I have a Chugger pump that I use for chilling, and for transferring the wort to the first carboy (I use gravity and an autosiphon to fill the second carboy). But my boil kettle (15g), mash tun (70 qt), mill (Barley Crusher w/ power drill), and all my other equipment can easily handle 10 gallon batches, so it seems like a no-brainer.

Is there an army of dedicated 10 gallon brewers out there I'm just not aware of, or is there some other reason people stick with 5 gallon batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
dschoemaker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I like variety, and can only drink so much beer. 5 gallons is about 40 pints, so is a nice compromise in that regard.

Dave

Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 487

I'm a 10 gallon brewer and love it, for the most part. For the same reasons as you mentioned, it's a no brainer. An additional option for the 10 gallon batch is to get creative using different yeast strains and secondary additions in each fermenter. More beer to play around with (and drink of course).

I'm not sure how much you drink/give away, but I've found that beers that should be drank fresh, such as IPAs and hefeweizens, are getting a bit long in the tooth toward the second half of my second keg. I've recently decided to limit those beers to 5-6 gallon batches.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I brew some 10 gallon batches, but stick to mostly 5 gallon.

I like variety, recipe tweaking, and fresh hop forward beers(what I mainly brew). I keg, so having 5 gallons of beer waiting around for me to kick another 5 gallon keg would lead to a lot of beer that is not as fresh as I would like. Obviously some styles wouldn't be affected as much as others.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
i like variety, and can only drink so much beer. 5 gallons is about 40 pints, so is a nice compromise in that regard.

Dave
x2

Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
I like variety, and can only drink so much beer. 5 gallons is about 40 pints, so is a nice compromise in that regard.

Dave
This. I've been debating moving up to 10 gallon batches, which requires an investment too, but I would still do a lot of 5 gallon batches. I like variety. I generally don't drink two bottles of any single beer back to back, whether I'm at a bar, drinking craft, or my own home brew. At any given time, I usually have at least 7 choices of homebrew to drink. Also, I like brewing as much as I like drinking. If I were doing 10 gal batches, I would probably end up giving it away by the case so I could brew more.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 555 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I am also in it for the fun and variety. At one time I had 12 different beers bottled.

If I did 10 gallon batches I could not brew as often or try as many different things. In the winter when it is too cold (for me) to brew outside I do 3 gallon BIAB on the stove. Again - more variety.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I prefer 10 gallon batches as well. My equipment can handle it and I can drink it (with my friends help). Since I have to split the batch into 5 gal primary fermenters anyway, I take the opportunity to do some trials. Using different yeasts, clarity-ferm (glutenase enzyme), or temperatures in side by side comparisons is quite useful.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I've done about 40 all-grain 5 gallon batches so far. Recently, I've done a couple 10 gallon batches, and I have to say, I'm strongly considering moving to 10 gallon batches exclusively. It seems to me that for a slightly increased time investment (the additional heating/cooling adds a total of about an hour for me), I end up with twice as much beer.

Why don't more people do 10 gallon batches? Is it the issue of moving that much hot wort around? I confess I have a Chugger pump that I use for chilling, and for transferring the wort to the first carboy (I use gravity and an autosiphon to fill the second carboy). But my boil kettle (15g), mash tun (70 qt), mill (Barley Crusher w/ power drill), and all my other equipment can easily handle 10 gallon batches, so it seems like a no-brainer.

Is there an army of dedicated 10 gallon brewers out there I'm just not aware of, or is there some other reason people stick with 5 gallon batches?
Hello, I do 10 gal batches all the time and have been for about 8 months now.

I have the same equipment as you are using, but no pump and my mill is a Monster Mill 2.2.0 I also run it with a drill (at least for now), I also have a 9 gal kettle for heating my strike water.

In-fact anymore I only make a 5 gal batch for trying out a new recipe.

I remember how surprised I was after brewing my first 10 gal batch, and thinking this isn't any harder than brewing a 5 gal batch, Even my wife said (she cleans/washes everything when we brew) we should always make 10 gal batches on house recipes and doing the cleanup was the same as a 5 gal batch.

And yes I know, Im a lucky man that has a wife that likes to help me brew and clean up.

10 gallon is the way to go for us, I also really like having 2 fermenters bubbling away at the same time, makes our brew room smell so good.

To anyone thinking about trying a 10 gal batch, I say go for it, its easy.

Great thread kombat.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungry4hops View Post
x2