Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why the jump in mash efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Vertigo00oo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by latium View Post
If you've stopped draining before the end before, you've been leaving some of your sugar in the mash tun, so I'd definitely that that's a leading possibility.
Makes sense. I usually stop draining when I start to see a sudden rush of grain/husk material. Since I had a strainer, I just let it all come on out this time.

What do others do? Do any of you have the same issue with the rush of stuff at the end of the draining?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo00oo

I've read the same as well. I read that the strips typically read .3 lower where in my case it seemed to be .3 higher. I did cool the samples to room temperature before taking a sample. Perhaps these particular strips (from my LHBS) are +-.2 or +- .3, which might explain things.
I wasn't sure about up or down for the strips. I use a pH meter with automatic temperature compensation.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Vertigo00oo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
I wasn't sure about up or down for the strips. I use a pH meter with automatic temperature compensation.
Which meter do you have?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G8PWAU/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

If you get it you also need the calibration and storage solutions.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
Vertigo00oo
Recipes 

So on my batch this past weekend, I did everything I normally do except I fully drained the mash tun instead of stopping when it starts gurgling.

No change in efficiency. Still at 68%.

Next batch I'm going to mash for 90 minutes and see where that puts me.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
Vertigo00oo
Recipes 

Brewed a Belgian Dubbel yesterday and as noted earlier, performed a 90 minute mash. I then sparged with 180F water for about 15, mixed everything up real well, and got the 78% efficiency I got batch before last!

So, in my case, it seems as though the batch before last when I saw the jump, I sparged with a lower temperature water, which prolonged the conversion process and led to more extraction. Next time I brew, I'm going to perform another 90 minute mash to see if I got the same efficiency.

The confusing part to me, is that I've read that the conversion process should only take 45 minutes or so, which is why most people mash for 60. I wonder why in my case it's taking longer? If I can get consistent with my 90 minute mash, I'll drop it to 75, because I doubt the last 15 minutes of the 90 is really doing anything. This kinds of makes me wonder if I should check the calibration on my thermometer.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Conversion takes less than 10 minutes. The rest of the time is used to get the grains wet to the center of the particles and the sugars leached back out. Post a picture of the grain you used so we can see the quality of the crush. I'd bet that you would do better with a finer crush.

Quick Reply