Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why I Went Back to Extract This Summer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Cistercian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why I Went Back to Extract This Summer

I feel guilty admitting this: I backslid and did an liquid extract beer today.

It's so dang hot here in Texas that I decided to reduce brew time and just do an extract wheat beer. I've been doing all grain for over 2 years. I just wanted some beer and I didn't want to sweat that long outside.

Interested in Sacred Scripture, Catholic Theology, and Thomistic Philosophy?

Follow me on Twitter!

Check out: Canterbury Tales Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 890 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

I don't think its anything to feel guilty about! People make really fine beer from malt extract.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
wcarter1227
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

i just stepped up to all grain a few months ago but i will admit that the last 2 brews i have made a watermelon wheat and a wit were partial mashes both turned out fantastic.

your still making beer, unless you start making pisswater beers like blue ribbon or coors i say cheers and good luck.

primary:15 minute Cascade Pale Ale
Primary 2: Cream of 3 crops
Primary 3: Sam Adams Holiday Porter Clone
bottled:BM's Blue Balls Belgian Wit
15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
DryHopped Cream of 3 Crops
http://hopville.com/brewer/wcarter1227

Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
artyboy
Recipes 

If you can make "pisswater beers" with no off flavors then you know you're a good brewer.

I've been thinking about picking up a 50# case of DME just so that I can play around with some extract brews. You get to skip so many steps. It's really nice to have a batch of beer done in two hours rather than 4-5.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's cool. When I brew Barley Wine I do extract.

"Carpe Diem"

Old 06-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I've been doing extracts and will be starting all grain with my next brewday(not sure when yet though). However, I have made some amazing beers using extract, and have 2 more promising extract batches in the closet now. Personally, I don't see why everyone hates on the extract, my main reason for going all grain is to try it and see what all the fuss is about, as well as to help reduce costs since grain seems to be much cheaper than DME/LME these days.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
cyclonetx
Recipes 

I live in Ft. Worth and just "enjoyed" an AG brewing session this afternoon with the heat and humidity in my garage. I usually look forward to brew day but not when it is this hot. Can't wait for July and August.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Speaking as an extract brewer I wouldn't diss you for doing what you did. I even had a friend call me because he brews AG and he wanted to "learn" extract brewing as I was doing it. After a few chuckles at my end and him declaring he was serious we got together. I told him that brewing with extract is like baking a cake from a mix. He said that if he had never baked a cake from a mix he would want to learn how to do that properly as well. Touché!

Also, I have spoken to many people about sterilized wort kits we have here in Canada called Festabrew from Magnotta. A lot of people like them and they're dead easy to make. Apparently you end with decent beer and it's really easy, so is there shame in that?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Rubberband
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no shame in making beer, no matter what method is used. I do up an extract kit every now and then as well some Partial Mash brewing for big beers.

I prefer all grain because I like the total control that I get. I mean, you can add/remove a little or replace/exchange something and make an all new beer. That being said, I don't like to mash 20 lbs of grain for a barley wine and that is where my DME is important to me.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
ErieShores
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I feel as though I could probably successfully pull-off and all grain but I'll stick to extracts and PM's. I have two little kids and I don't have the free time I had in years past. Once they are both in school, I'll probably attempt some AG brewing. For the record...When I find a great recipe, (thanks BierMuncher!) some of my extracts are regarded as high as some AG recipes according to neighbors and friends.
*Edit: My real dislike for extract brewing is how strict AG'ers look down their nose at you when you tell them you brew with powder from a bag.

Last edited by ErieShores; 06-06-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply