Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why can't you just tip the cooler a bit to drain it all out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Default Why can't you just tip the cooler a bit to drain it all out?

When mashing in a rectangular cooler with a steel braid and batch sparging. Some liquid is gonna be below the outlet and not come out when you drain the runings. So why can't you just tip the cooler a bit to drain it better? Wouldn't this essentially eliminate the dead space and result in a higher efficiency?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i dont think it would raise your efficiency. the wort is as dense as its going to be. all the tipping would do is get you a few more ounces of wort. depending on how much you tip the grain may move which may or may not allow grain husks and what not to come out your spout. (assuming thats even an issue for you) it may also cause the grain to compact blocking drainage.

your just gong to have to try it and see what happens.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I don't see why it would hurt, I do it with a big brew kettle with a ball valve and no pick-up tube. Takes quite the 'tilt' to get it all out.

It will def improve efficiency. Lost wort is lost gravity is lost efficiency. Anytime you leave sugars behind you lose efficiency (you knew that just correcting the previous post).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I tip mine, but I mash in a beverage cooler and use a big paint strainer bag to hold my grain so it's not quite the same as having a braid.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
i dont think it would raise your efficiency. the wort is as dense as its going to be. all the tipping would do is get you a few more ounces of wort.
It's more then just a few ounces. Depending on how high the outlet is there could be as much as 1/2 gallon left in the MLT. That's an extra 1/2 gallon of wort. That must have some impact on the efficiency.

Quote:
depending on how much you tip the grain may move which may or may not allow grain husks and what not to come out your spout. (assuming thats even an issue for you) it may also cause the grain to compact blocking drainage.

your just gong to have to try it and see what happens.
I think I would tip it before doing the vorlauf OR drain it while it's level and then when it looks done tip it to get whatever is left in the dead space below the outlet. Either way the grain will not come out the spot as it's filtered thru a steel braid.

I guess I'll have to try and see.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I don't see why it would hurt, I do it with a big brew kettle with a ball valve and no pick-up tube. Takes quite the 'tilt' to get it all out.

It will def improve efficiency. Lost wort is lost gravity is lost efficiency. Anytime you leave sugars behind you lose efficiency (you knew that just correcting the previous post).
So why doesn't everybody tip the MLT for a batch sparge? Seams like this should be common practice.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
thats only true if your going to top off with plain water. the wort in your collection bucket and the little bit left in the tun are the same density. adding the little bit thats left won't magically change the density of the wort in the bucket.

now if you are going to top off with plain water then yes it will affect your efficiency because you will have to add just that much more water to get your target volume. thats why i top off in my brew pot and not in the fermenter. because when i rack from the pot to the fermenter there is about half a gallon of wort left and i would have to make that difference in volume up in the fermenter which will lower the SG.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Tipsy, anytime you leave sugars behind you reduce efficiency. 5.25 gal @ 1.050 is more sugars (for the same grain) than 5.0 gal @ 1.050. Simple beer math.

It's not just the gravity, it's the combination of gravity AND volume.

maida, That's a good question and I don't batch sparge so I can't really say. I would guess it's because if you set up the braid correctly you really shouldn't have any deadspace (at least that's my understanding of it).

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 02-19-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
thats only true if your going to top off with plain water. the wort in your collection bucket and the little bit left in the tun are the same density. adding the little bit thats left won't magically change the density of the wort in the bucket.

now if you are going to top off with plain water then yes it will affect your efficiency because you will have to add just that much more water to get your target volume. thats why i top off in my brew pot and not in the fermenter. because when i rack from the pot to the fermenter there is about half a gallon of wort left and i would have to make that difference in volume up in the fermenter which will lower the SG.
I think your a little mixed up on the true definition of efficiency. But it's no big deal it's just numbers.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Add in that if you tip on the first runnings you're getting more of the thicker first runnings out before diluting it with your sparge water. I'd rather get every drop of those first runnings before I sparge.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply