Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Why a BIAB saved my Mash!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Why a BIAB saved my Mash!

I've taken to mashing in a BIAB in my keggle with RIMS. It always seems to provide a clearer wort and easier clean up. This past week it saved me from disaster when the false bottom caved in. I had 33lbs of grain and 1.5 qt/lb water which was just a tad too much water for the volume of grain. When I transferred the first runnings to the BK it stopped a few gallons short and I realized that something had stuck. I simply pulled up on the grain bag and heard a sucking/vacuum release sound, after a few more tugs on the bag things started flowing again. Without the bag I would have had to transfer 30lbs of grain to another vessel so I could fix the false bottom.

I will never brew without the BIAB again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Squirrels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Make it easier!

Now you just have to do true no-sparge BIAB. Makes your brew day even easier. No mash tun to clean!

I'm a bit Nuts.

Mad Cow Brewery

Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrels View Post
Now you just have to do true no-sparge BIAB. Makes your brew day even easier. No mash tun to clean!
That is the plan when I downsize to 5 gallon batches and sell the bigger stand. It seems like a ridiculously simple way to brew.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
iijakii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I do ~8 gallon batches (10-11 preboil) BIAB full volume no sparge. It's really beautiful. I love BIAB and no chill. I even have a 10gal cooler MLT and I still prefer BIAB.

Quick Reply