Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Who's grinding?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
Goblism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchuklobrau View Post
+1 on the grain mill and bulk buy. I have a carona style mill witch has been getting me 80-83% efficiency on average. Started buying 55lb sacks of grain from fiftypoundsack.com. have saved enough in 2 sacks of grain over my lhbs price per pound that the next sack is"free" for me. not a bad turnaround(saving like $35 a sack over lhbs cost)
Let your LHBS know the price you can get elsewhere, there must be a decent mark up at your LHBS. He might be willing to sell you the grain slightly cheaper. I look at those prices and cringe at fiftypoundsack.com, my local guy is a lot cheaper, including imported base malts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #22
chemist308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lot of folks here use a Corona Mill. I nearly bought one but folks here were telling me about the Barley Crusher being so much better so I went that route. It probably doesn't matter based on the efficiency numbers I see in this thread, but a Corona Mill is more of a grinding/milling action which is meant for flours, where as a Barley Crusher uses two opposing rollers to crush the grains and generally comes preset to what you'd use.

I suspect if you do the math you'd recoup your costs on a Barley Crusher in the first few 55# bags, possibly faster on the Corona style even when factoring any efficiency difference you'll see. If I had it all to do over again, I'd still get the Barley Crusher... I'm sure other roller mills are just as good, but I can't speak to that because I've only ever used mine.

Primary Fermenter 1: Beer

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 AM   #23
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use a barley crusher with a cordless DeWalt drill. It works great!

Quick Reply