New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Who's grinding?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Pappers_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Yes, I hand crank, also. That sounds a little weird . . . .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #12
CaptKaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Yes, I hand crank, also. That sounds a little weird . . . .
I'm married so I'm completely used to hand crankin' mysel...wait what were we talkin' about? Oh yeah, I really do not need to have a self powered grain mill.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 AM   #13
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I got my Corona on the free which was a huge score. It didn't have the hopper but not important. Done two beers so far 1=78% eff and 2=77.5%. I haven't even bought bulk yet but I love the option. Good results with the brewing is what makes it worth it. I hand crank btw... Sometimes the wife helps...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #14
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The kitchen aid grain mill is designed for milling grain into flour, not well suited for typical crushes for brewing. The newer models of the mixers since about 2000 are using much less reliable plastic gears and transmissions, and while I know everyone has a mother or aunt with an older beast that just won't die, these new things burn up very easily, even doing stuff like a stiff bread dough.

Corona hand cranked or a roller mill motorized, all still run you cheaper than replacing a mixer that goes up in smoke.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #15
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob
The kitchen aid grain mill is designed for milling grain into flour, not well suited for typical crushes for brewing. The newer models of the mixers since about 2000 are using much less reliable plastic gears and transmissions, and while I know everyone has a mother or aunt with an older beast that just won't die, these new things burn up very easily, even doing stuff like a stiff bread dough.

Corona hand cranked or a roller mill motorized, all still run you cheaper than replacing a mixer that goes up in smoke.
My KA has been pretty good for me for what 6 years or something. I did wonder why I didn't try to look for a used one. Because new the are pretty dang expensive.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #16
CaptKaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
I got my Corona on the free which was a huge score. It didn't have the hopper but not important. Done two beers so far 1=78% eff and 2=77.5%. I haven't even bought bulk yet but I love the option. Good results with the brewing is what makes it worth it. I hand crank btw... Sometimes the wife helps...
Haha....yeah, I understand.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #17
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you think brewing is an expensive hobby, try being a foodie hah!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #18
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
Ours was one of those older models with metal gears and broke with a pasta attachment. We fixed the gears and it is still running strong 15 years later, but we gave up on using attachments, except the one that crushes tomatoes.

But you are right, it's definitely not the way to go. Keeping the wife from doing baking by using it for something it's not good for is not gonna happen in my household!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #19
pd230soi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a barley crusher, hand cranked, and love it. Get a set of feeler gauges, check the setting before you brew, record the changes if you alter the factory setting.

As a side note I buy 100Kg bags of malted barley for like $35 (yes, thats USD). The downside.... I have no idea exactly what type of malted barley it is... Its for the local lagers. So my brews are wildly cheap, but never quite taste like what I expect when following a reciepe.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
tchuklobrau
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

+1 on the grain mill and bulk buy. I have a carona style mill witch has been getting me 80-83% efficiency on average. Started buying 55lb sacks of grain from fiftypoundsack.com. have saved enough in 2 sacks of grain over my lhbs price per pound that the next sack is"free" for me. not a bad turnaround(saving like $35 a sack over lhbs cost)

Quick Reply