New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Whooo, Stuck Sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 AM   #1
thebull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Whooo, Stuck Sparge

I'm using ten gallon round rubbermaid coolers doing five gallon brews. I fly sparge with a SS false bottom. This is the second AG with my new Barley Crusher and I had a stuck sparge this time. Pleassssse tell me what my options are when this occures?

What I did was ugle, however, I got it running and finished with one point above my projected OG. Beginners Luck, right. What a mess.

The Bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

You can try hotter sparge water, sucking on the hose, blowing on the hose, stirring it, waiting, cutting channels... I can't think of anymore. What did you do?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Your best bet on a stuck sparge is to add hotter water, stir it up and clear it again. If you have rice hulls handy, add some of them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
thebull

Recipes 

I used a coat hanger as I have in the past, but it would not clear with that. My real problems started when I pushed the false bottom off the hose with the hanger. I had to dump the whole mess into the empty brew pot and start over. I did finally get it going. I can see any one of your tips would have been a better place to start. Thanks.

By the way, I came in with an OG one point higher that projected so I was happy about that.

The Bull

Quick Reply