Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > whole grain vs. direct sunlight, who wins?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
hopdropper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default whole grain vs. direct sunlight, who wins?

question...so we've got this new store in town that just started to carry bulk grains...awesome, right? couldn't be happier to have a LHBS that sells grain by the oz, or 50 lb bag if needed. no more shipping and handling charges. but here's the deal....they probably have 30+ varieties of grain and they're stored in those clear plastic cereal/coffee bean dispensers you see at some grocery stores (you know, where you pull the little lever and the stuff pours out the bottom). thing is, the grain station sits up next to a huge plate glass window with southern exposure...for most of the year that equals tons of direct sunlight all day. i'm fairly new to AG brewing...but i got to imagine that ain't good for the grain? we're not a big city so i don't imagine they move too much product....just wondering, how much UV exposure will turn grain evil? is it worth letting the manager know? thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3705 Times on 2278 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopdropper View Post
question...so we've got this new store in town that just started to carry bulk grains...awesome, right? couldn't be happier to have a LHBS that sells grain by the oz, or 50 lb bag if needed. no more shipping and handling charges. but here's the deal....they probably have 30+ varieties of grain and they're stored in those clear plastic cereal/coffee bean dispensers you see at some grocery stores (you know, where you pull the little lever and the stuff pours out the bottom). thing is, the grain station sits up next to a huge plate glass window with southern exposure...for most of the year that equals tons of direct sunlight all day. i'm fairly new to AG brewing...but i got to imagine that ain't good for the grain? we're not a big city so i don't imagine they move too much product....just wondering, how much UV exposure will turn grain evil? is it worth letting the manager know? thanks in advance!

That's a good question. I'm really surprised that anyone selling a food product would put it into the light like that.

The good news is that plastic does not pass UV at all. Still, a little bit over a long time could have some effect. Or maybe not.

I would think, if anything, the exposure would act to dry it more, which would prolong it's life. Hard to say what the affect on the enzymes would be. It's possible they denature more quickly, but that's just a possibility - I've no idea really. Just tossing out some food for thought.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

huh, i didn't realize plastic didn't pass UV...that's good to know. the bins probably only hold 20 lbs each. so i'd imagine the more popular grains get moved through pretty quick, thus limiting their exposure to direct sunlight. i picked up some smoked malt today and kinda started to wonder how long it might have been there...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm not an expert on the topic by any means, but AFAIK there isn't really any negative effect caused by grain being exposed to sunlight. Hops would be a different story. However, I would be more concerned with the grains not really being in a well-sealed container that they would absorb more moisture than normal, and stale faster or possibly even mold. Malted grain should have a residual moisture somewhere in the 4% range, which is well below the comfortable humidity range for people. If you pick up the grain and it's soft instead of crisp or crunchy it hasn't been sealed well and has absorbed moisture.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sounds like a weevil farm in the making!

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Sounds like a weevil farm in the making!
You got that right.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

If their turnover is good, it won't matter much.

Ask the store owner about it. Good conversation starter, at least.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I wouldn't be as worried about the UV as much as the heat.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
BigBlue10EM
Recipes 

I don't think it would hurt. Very little UV light can get through even clear glass.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue10EM View Post
I don't think it would hurt. Very little UV light can get through even clear glass.
Maybe the windows were fused silica. That's what I use for UV windows.

Quick Reply