The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Whoa! Belgian Dubbel/Strong Dark is doing great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
GuitarGumption
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So at 3 weeks it appears that fermentation activity has finally stopped. At last check my FG was at 1.010.

From here, I know most people like to bottle their Belgians, but I am kegging it.

I took it out of my temp controlled kegerator, because I really needed to get my stout in there to cool and carbonate. My plan is to transfer to another keg (I've been fermenting in a corny keg), and let it condition at room temperature in my house, which this time of year will be around 75-78. My thought was that to simulate bottle conditioning as much as I can, I'd prime with a little corn sugar in the keg, and just let it carbonate naturally for a few weeks at that temp, then put back in the kegerator, cool, and carbonate with c02 as needed. Is there anything wrong with this plan? Thanks for any tips, as this is my first big beer, and first Belgian.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

That's a really strange color for a dubbel or a BSDA. Just guessing, but the candi sugar you used might have been of the light variety.

Oh, and you might want to age that for like 6 months if it's high in alcohol. Belgians tend to hide their alcohol content well because they mellow over the aging process.

Last edited by JordanThomas; 08-15-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added stuff

Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I only used a little bit of Special B, and the candi sugar was medium amber flakes. I was going for a lighter than usual color, and I'm actually really happy with that.

Unfortunately it only gets 2 months to age, as that's when my wedding is. Unless it doesn't taste good, in which case of course it will keep aging.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption View Post
Well I only used a little bit of Special B, and the candi sugar was medium amber flakes. I was going for a lighter than usual color, and I'm actually really happy with that.

Unfortunately it only gets 2 months to age, as that's when my wedding is. Unless it doesn't taste good, in which case of course it will keep aging.
Well, if it tastes good, that's the most important part!

I really hope that works out for you. I also aim to have wonderful Belgian-style homebrews when I get married. That's the way to do it

Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

+1 on aging as long as you can. I have two Dubbels that are only 6-7 weeks old right now and they're just not enjoyable yet. Sweet, juicyfruit, but a bit hot and not easy to drink yet. I'm thinking of bottling from the kegs and letting them age at room temp until winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hm, well so far I'll have an IPA ready by Oct 1st. I was thinking of doing an oatmeal stout or a saison next week. Could either of those be drinkable by Oct 1st?

I'm also a little hesitant when I really think about it, to have 10% beer on tap the nights before my wedding with best friends I haven't seen in a while....haha. They might not know what hit them.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption
Hm, well so far I'll have an IPA ready by Oct 1st. I was thinking of doing an oatmeal stout or a saison next week. Could either of those be drinkable by Oct 1st?

I'm also a little hesitant when I really think about it, to have 10% beer on tap the nights before my wedding with best friends I haven't seen in a while....haha. They might not know what hit them.
I bottled my dubbels off the kegs tonight. They just need more time. Sure, some friends like them, but they're not even close to peak yet.

Its ultimately up to you. Bigger beers (IIPAs notwithstanding) do better with age.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #18
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I can definitely see that. My latest taster, I can tell there's all kinds of interesting flavors in there, but they aren't very harmonious. And very hazy so far. Is that normal? Do these just take a long time to clear up as well?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 AM   #19
GuitarGumption
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry just one more question. I was thinking I'm better off conditioning/aging for a while at room temp, vs. cooling down to 40 or so in the kegerator and then ageing. Is this correct?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGumption View Post
Sorry just one more question. I was thinking I'm better off conditioning/aging for a while at room temp, vs. cooling down to 40 or so in the kegerator and then ageing. Is this correct?
Yes. These aren't lagers so cold conditioning isn't going to do much for you here. I would recommend putting them in the fridge for a week, maybe two, before the wedding though. Let them settle out and absorb that Co2 fully.

I think they'll turn out great, I hope mine do too!

Quote:

Quick Reply