Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > White Wheat v. Wheat Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
brewer_duke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default White Wheat v. Wheat Malt

Could someone please explain to me the flavor / proflie difference between white wheat malt and just plain wheat malt. I'm thinking white wheat is for wits, etc; while wheat malt is for other wheat beers, but hmmm. Just a little clarification please. Thnx.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
cmgray
Recipes 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that wheat malt is either red or white and there's not a huge difference between the 2. So techincally no such thing as just plain wheat malt.

Briess Malt & Ingredients Co.: Base Malts

Visit www.brewtility.com Online brewing software and beer recipes database.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Good question. I'm waiting from the experts for enlightenment.

From the Briess website they do look pretty similar. Interesting that the white wheat is actually (a tiny bit) darker than the red.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I wish I could provide a reference, but I remember reading somewhere that red wheat has more protein than white wheat. I believe the article was talking about hefeweizen and other wheat beers that should be kind of cloudy. It said something about the extra protein in red wheat helping with that appearance.

I just read this in the past week or so, I'll see if I can find the article real quick

Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The LHBS I was at last night had both white wheat malt and the "standard" wheat malt, both by Briess. It gave me a good chance to taste both side by side. IMHO, the white wheat malt tasted a little sweeter and a little less "wheaty", which kind of makes sense since it has a little higher gravity potential. Also, even though there is a little higher lovibond to the white wheat, it appears lighter in color than the "standard" wheat malt which is made with red wheat. Here's an article I found talking about white wheat. It has a nice pic to compare red and white wheat. I would say, the difference I saw last night was not as noticeable, which may be attributable to the malting process or the different varieties pictured.

Quick Reply