Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > whirlfloc and hop questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default whirlfloc and hop questions

I recently brewed a 2 gallon batch and will do more in the future. Iused the whirfloc tablet for the first time also. My question is the amount to use. The Brewsmith recipe for the 2 gallon batch called for ".16 items" under the amount. I just cut the tablet into fourths sorta and used the biggest piece. . It produced a heck of a lot of trub at cold break,any advice there?
My hops amount created other problems...recipe called for 3 different amounts.......(.28 oz)...(.35 oz)...(.40 oz). I have a small scale but it only reads down to 1 oz. I just poured them out on a plate, guessed at half, then estimated the amounts. Do you weighyours on a better scale or guess at them? I have looked at several threads on here concerning small batches including Revvy's longer thread and his procedures for small mash/sparge batches. Thanks for any advice.
ron,ar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
I recently brewed a 2 gallon batch and will do more in the future. Iused the whirfloc tablet for the first time also. My question is the amount to use. The Brewsmith recipe for the 2 gallon batch called for ".16 items" under the amount. I just cut the tablet into fourths sorta and used the biggest piece. . It produced a heck of a lot of trub at cold break,any advice there?
My hops amount created other problems...recipe called for 3 different amounts.......(.28 oz)...(.35 oz)...(.40 oz). I have a small scale but it only reads down to 1 oz. I just poured them out on a plate, guessed at half, then estimated the amounts. Do you weighyours on a better scale or guess at them? I have looked at several threads on here concerning small batches including Revvy's longer thread and his procedures for small mash/sparge batches. Thanks for any advice.
ron,ar

A 1/4 tab of whirlfloc sounds about right, especially you got so much break material. It sounds like it did its job.

I have a better scale, but I'd be fine with .25 ounce (about 1/4 of a one ounce package), .5 ounce, .75 ounce and 1 ounce measurements for a 2 gallon batch, unless the AAUs on the hops were extremely low or extremely high. I mean, there isn't much difference in IBUs between .28 oz, and .25 oz!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply