Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Whirlfloc Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Whirlfloc Experiment

I've just put my Ruination clone into the carboy, and as I was doing it I realized I forgot to add the Whirlfloc. I've been using it since I started doing BIAB as this leaves a lot more trub than extract or sparged grain.

My plan had been to make the brew, make my yeast starter (didn't think I'd have time to brew today so I didn't make it in advance), and hold the wort in my smaller carboy (very little headspace), and then rack it to my larger carboy and add yeast, in the process leaving all the trub behind.

So what I did was boil up half a tab of whirlfloc and added it to the cooled wort. It fizzed when I added it. I'll see how it looks tomorrow and report back. Since I don't have a control I won't be able to compare with and without. I know a lot of people don't like the stuff as it leaves a lot of fluffy trub, but if you let it settle it does a great job of clarifying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I did my second BIAB this weekend...first time using my MM2 and also used whirlfloc for the first time too. I followed MW instructions on only using 1/2 tablet at 5 minutes left in the boil. The cold break did not separate at all. I have a primary fermenter full of pureed oatmeal looking stuff. It is fermenting just fine....lots of trub...but absolutely no separation at all.
I usually leave beer in the primary for 3 weeks, so it still has plenty of time to clear up. But I think that 1/2 tab at 5 minutes was total garb.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

That's the criticism of Whirlfloc, it leaves a very fluffy trub. It will however settle out quickly and leave very clear beer. If you add yeast though before it settles the yeast itself will keep the trub stirred in until the yeast is done and settles out. At that point you should be able to rack off the trub some clear beer.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Hmmmm.....maybe I'll go back to Irish moss. I'm still pretty low on the learning curve. I really don't need more challenges at the moment....maybe later.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I use 1/2 tab in the last 10 minutes of boiling and I get a very compact trub by bottling/racking time.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Scottie61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hey,

New brewer here, too. I just made an all-grain cream ale and used Whirfloc at 5 min, and it separated a load of stuff out. I'm told that the Koelsch yeast I'm using is a bit powdery so it's still pretty hazy after primary, but I think it is clearer than it would have been without the Whirfloc.

Isn't Whirfloc just Irish Moss in a tablet form?

Scott

Old 05-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
m3n00b
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie61 View Post
Hey,

New brewer here, too. I just made an all-grain cream ale and used Whirfloc at 5 min, and it separated a load of stuff out. I'm told that the Koelsch yeast I'm using is a bit powdery so it's still pretty hazy after primary, but I think it is clearer than it would have been without the Whirfloc.

Isn't Whirfloc just Irish Moss in a tablet form?

Scott
Moss mixed with carrageenan. Which Yeast? Wlp029?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
Scottie61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b
Moss mixed with carrageenan. Which Yeast? Wlp029?
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

Scott

Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
zacster
Recipes 

I transferred from my holding carboy into my primary last night after it had been in there for a day with the Whirlfloc. It had formed a gelatinous goo that got sucked into my siphon, rather than mixing into the wort as it turned out. I left almost 2 inches of crud behind, and that's after one day of rest.

I mixed the yeast in and shook to oxygenate, so maybe now it'll have some impact, but I'm not holding my breath. Now the yeast is active and it won't be clear again until fermentation is done, and probably not until the secondary.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
m3n00b
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I transferred from my holding carboy into my primary last night after it had been in there for a day with the Whirlfloc. It had formed a gelatinous goo that got sucked into my siphon, rather than mixing into the wort as it turned out. I left almost 2 inches of crud behind, and that's after one day of rest.

I mixed the yeast in and shook to oxygenate, so maybe now it'll have some impact, but I'm not holding my breath. Now the yeast is active and it won't be clear again until fermentation is done, and probably not until the secondary.
Holding carboy? Why wait to primary? It takes about a week for the floc to settle.

Quick Reply