Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Where is your HERMS temp probe?

View Poll Results: HERMS Probe Placement:
monitors HEX coil output, always had it that way 18 43.90%
monitors HEX coil output, used to have it somewhere else 5 12.20%
monitors HEX water bath, always had it that way 12 29.27%
monitors HEX water bath, used to have it somewhere else 2 4.88%
somewhere else (where?) 1 2.44%
ummmm.... why does this pol have a 6th option? 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Where is your HERMS temp probe?

My HERMS is about to come online. I see some folks using their temp probe at the HEX coil output to monitor the temp of wort as it re-enters the MLT, while others put the probe in the HEX's water bath and monitor/maintain this way.

Where is your HERMS probe? Has it always been there or did you switch from one place to another because of problems?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
DustinHickey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont own one but would imagine that you would want it between the mlt and the pump. This way it would be reading the temps of the most probable cold spot. For example, as you circulate hw through the mlt you will loose temperature through the grain and exit the mlt back to the pump. if you locate your temp sensor between the mlt and the pump, your circ should stop when it sees the desired mash temp return from the mlt, thus leaving you with your desired mash temp in the tun.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts

KISS water bath. Easy to measure the offset of your system and easy to adjust for different conditions. No overshoot, and easy to control.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinHickey View Post
I dont own one but would imagine that you would want it between the mlt and the pump. This way it would be reading the temps of the most probable cold spot. For example, as you circulate hw through the mlt you will loose temperature through the grain and exit the mlt back to the pump. if you locate your temp sensor between the mlt and the pump, your circ should stop when it sees the desired mash temp return from the mlt, thus leaving you with your desired mash temp in the tun.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
output of MLT / input of pump is the one place I have seen it almost unanimously recommended to NOT put the probe (on both HERMS as well as RIMS). By the time the bottom part of the MLT hits your set temp, the top part is hotter because the heat has been on the whole time. Overshooting temps seems to be common with the probe there from what I have read.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
DustinHickey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That makes sense I guess. Like I said, I don't have one. Was thinking in terms of HW heating systems in domestic or commercial uses. Circ pump temp probes are always at the pump suction otherwise there's no way to to measure end of line temps leaving bottom end of system (bottom of tun) cold. Could you solve the overshooting problem by setting hot water bath to desired mash temp?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Could you solve the overshooting problem by setting hot water bath to desired mash temp?
That's basically when the "monitors HEX water bath" option is. Sounds like there is a slight difference between the temp of the HEX water compared to the temp of the MLT, but you can figure it out and adjust your PID set-temp for it.

I have been planning to locate it at the coil output, but I am having my keg equipped with a coupling in case I find that monitoring at the HEX output doesn't work. I'll have the option of putting the probe in either location and just plugging the other hole.

Part of my reason for putting the probe at the coil output was that the coil later serves as the chiller. I fill the MLT with ice water, put the coil in it, and pump the wort through it, circulating it back to the kettle. With the probe attached to the coil I can watch the chilling progress on the PID display.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
DustinHickey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, Maybe i'm not understanding what the temp sensor does. I am currently under the impression that the temp senser is used to start the pump when temperatures run low and shut the pump down when temperatures are at set point. Is this not the case? If it is, how would it control the waterbath temperature? I figured the waterbath is set by user and the pump just turns on or off to transfer heat to the mlt when required?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Mine is in the HLT water bath. The HEX is an old immersion chiller, the stirrer is just inside the HEX and the probe (it's a really long one) goes down between, if that makes sense.

I have to set my controller to 3 degrees warmer than my desired mash temperature, but it works great. I assume I "lose" those three degrees going from vessel to vessel. So, for a continued temperature of 153, I set the HLT controller for 156. It's always within .5 degrees of what I want.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok, Maybe i'm not understanding what the temp sensor does. I am currently under the impression that the temp senser is used to start the pump when temperatures run low and shut the pump down when temperatures are at set point. Is this not the case? If it is, how would it control the waterbath temperature? I figured the waterbath is set by user and the pump just turns on or off to transfer heat to the mlt when required?
Most folks leave the pump on all the time (constantly circulating) and use the temp probe + PID to turn the heat off and on as needed.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
DustinHickey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, yea that makes sense or efficiency i suppose. When you say turn the heat on and off, you mean flame to the hlt?

Quick Reply