Where does everyone buy their malted grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hans_shu_east_gluff

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I posted a few days ago about malting my own barley. I got some useful info, but also a lot of people saying its not worth it.

My question now is, where does everyone get their grains? I've called a few local places around here (Kimberley BC Canada) and nobody does all grain brewing. Just kits. Its looking like online is my best bet but I'm assuming the shipping will be killer because of the weight. Anyone have luck with online grain purchases?

A lot of people buy online. I'd find somewhere in Canada though so you don't get gouged for shipping from the US. Buy in bulk and shop around.

I should also point out I have used the search. Curious if anyone has a favourite place with cheap shipping and a good experience with the company.

A lot of people buy online. I'd find somewhere in Canada though so you don't get gouged for shipping from the US. Buy in bulk and shop around.

My girlfriend is always making purchases online for her business and its not always cheaper to buy Canadian. A lot of times things come from as far as Florida faster and cheaper than somewhere much closer but in Canada. Kind of aggravating actually.

Gambrinus malts are pretty good - what I've been using. They are malted up in Canada, so maybe see if you can find a local source.

I use cmc (Canada malting company) 2row. Maybe do a search for them. I'm guessing it would be cheaper If you are in Canada.

Check with a grocery store to see if they would be able and willing to special order some for you to be delivered on their regular delivery. The shipping might be much cheaper that way.

I get my base grains from local group buys, and order my specialty grains online for my next three batches at a time.

For grains and equipment I've had good experiences ordering online. I've dealt with an few Canadian retailers who have all been good. In BC, I'd order from Chris at www.hopdawgs.ca who is from Vernon. He is a very helpful guy, always finds the lowest shipping rates and has good selection. Ideally, to save on shipping, you should stock up on a sack of 2 row and a sack of Maris Otter as your base grains and then order the specialty stuff online as you need them.

Latest posts

Back