When and how should I start buying grains in bulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed my second all grain batch. I have been buying grain for one recipe at a time, milling it at the LHBS, and brewing within a week or two.

I have one 16 gal barrel and 3 x 5gal buckets with airtight locking lids...all empty. I asked Santa for a grain mill so hopefully that Xmas miracle will come true. I'm thinking of swapping my 30gal mash tun barrel with the 16gal barrel, which would free up the 30gal barrel (minor patching to stop moisture/mice).

When and how should I start buying grains in bulk? Does it make sense if I brew 8-10 batches (10gal) per year? How much does it really save?

I started buying base malt in bulk when I bought my grain mill. Actually, I used it as an excuse to buy the mill. My LHBS gives a substantial bulk discount and stacks my Military discount on top. So I'm saving a little over $1 per pound.

It's easy to buy in bulk if you have a local shop. Walk in and ask for a sack of ...........

The answer is......it depends.

It depends on the pricing at your LHBS. One thing that makes grain difficulty to buy over the internet is the shipping costs. If you can buy your base malt in 50 lb sacks for $.75/lb then it pays to buy in bulk. You can still buy your specialty grain on a per recipe basis.

I think I pay 1.75 per pound for base and $2 per lb for specialty. If $.75/lb is realistic ($ 37.50 for 50 lbs if my math is right) thats pretty good.

I assume no one buys specialty malts in 50 lb bags?

i have a lhbs that sells 2-row at $36 / 50 lbs. i buy it unmilled, and store it in a large (50 lb) dog food bin. it's food-grade, closes very well, and keeps grain fresh. that's 80 cents / lb. they sell by the lb at $1.19. that's over $4 savings for a 5 gallon brew, for me. i brew 11 at a time, so it's about $10 / brew saved (i brew big beers) :D

I always buy 2-row in bulk. It saves money and time. As long as you have a decent place to store it you're all set. I store mine in a screw top industrial 50 gal plastic bin. You won't regret it, even if you brew once every 6 months.

I should point out that I brew on a 10gal system and I usually brew 3 10gal batches each brew day.

I always buy 2-row in bulk. It saves money and time. As long as you have a decent place to store it you're all set. I store mine in a screw top industrial 50 gal plastic bin. You won't regret it, even if you brew once every 6 months.

I should point out that I brew on a 10gal system and I usually brew 3 10gal batches each brew day.

So, you use more than a sack per brew day! That is impresssive :D

I buy via a brew club and 2 row is $30 for 55lb bag. I get one for each month until the next buy. I store 300ish lbs in the bags they came in. I will do a "crazy mad 24hrs of brewing once a year" and I also do not brew for 4 months. The great part about grain, is each grain comes in it's own little package. I also buy hops in bulk and that is about 10$ per LB. So 27lbs of 2 row is $15,2lbs caramel is $4, Hops are $8, LP is $10, and I wash yeast. That's $37 per ten gallons..ish I could also do a small beer off the second running but I don't.

I think I pay 1.75 per pound for base and $2 per lb for specialty. If $.75/lb is realistic ($ 37.50 for 50 lbs if my math is right) thats pretty good.

I assume no one buys specialty malts in 50 lb bags?

I agree , too bad we can't get something local going . 1.75/lb = 87.50 per 50 lb. sack of base . Ct. is doing a group buy @ $32 dollars for a 50 lb sack ( plus shipping @ $2.50 ) of 2 row but the pickup is in Winsor Ct.
Its too bad R.I.F.T. doesn't do something like this !

CT Group buy - http://mash.azurewebsites.net/GroupBuys/Groups/Details/1

jdd12364 said:
I agree , too bad we can't get something local going . 1.75/lb = 87.50 per 50 lb. sack of base . Ct. is doing a group buy @ $32 dollars for a 50 lb sack ( plus shipping @ $2.50 ) of 2 row but the pickup is in Winsor Ct.
Its too bad R.I.F.T. doesn't do something like this !

CT Group buy - http://mash.azurewebsites.net/GroupBuys/Groups/Details/1

Still possible to order? I live in Woodbury CT and would be down for 100 lbs!!!

Still possible to order? I live in Woodbury CT and would be down for 100 lbs!!!

I'm pretty sure it's open as i've just registered and added my order. We'll see if it appends. They are trying to get 2 pallets.

Yeowch, 1.75/lb? That is about right when buying the prepackaged 1 lb bags at the LHBS's near me. Calling around to LHBS's its generally about $1 lb round here in the 50 lb bags. You have my sympathy.

At $32 for 50lb bag of 2-row, I'd say the CT bulk buy deal is a score. That's $.64/lb. I hope this buy happens as it's a great deal

BigTuna said:
At $32 for 50lb bag of 2-row, I'd say the CT bulk buy deal is a score. That's $.64/lb. I hope this buy happens as it's a great deal

So looks like goal was met and we're good?

Back