Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wheat starch usage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
crjpilot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Wheat starch usage

I'm sure we're all familiar with BLaM and the information about Rochefort using wheat starch. Based on photos, it appears they do use actual pure wheat starch. My question is: how is it used?

I'm able to find wheat starch at the local Asian markets readily. It comes like this:

I found a comment on the BLaM website where Stan indicated they "use it in the kettle." So, I'm wondering it it can just be added during the boil like dextrose. I've seen many other recipes where people have used flaked wheat in the mash instead. I'm sure it works, but I don't think Rochefort uses the wheat starch for the same purpose as flaked wheat.

Finally, yes, I'm aware that it's a small part of the total grain bill and probably not necessary, but I like to give things a try anyway just to see how it goes. Any input would be appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply