Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wheat malt substitutions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
yeastside
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Wheat malt substitutions

I'm new to grain brewing, so I thought I'd get some input from more experienced hands.

Would Midnight Wheat Malt serve as a substitution for chocolate and caramel wheat malt in a partial mash wheat porter? Any other appropriate substitution or suggestion? Is there a web resource for determining what ingredients are interchangeable?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I'd post the whole recipe so folks can give better advice. I don't have experience with midnight and chocolate wheat but I would think it would be a bit like trying to sub in black malt for chocolate in a regular porter - you could make something work but it's not going to be the same. As far as the carawheat you'd probably be closer subbing a similar lovibond carmel malt.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
abrix
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Midnight Wheat is closer to the dehusked Carafa malts -- it'll give you color without a whole lot of roast character. Are you trying to substitute for chocolate malt or chocolate wheat malt? Midnight wheat would be closer to chocolate wheat that regular chocolate malt.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
yeastside
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Correct, I will be substituting chocolate wheat malt. Would I be missing much in terms of body or wheat flavor if I were to replace 1 lb of chocolate wheat and .5 lb of caramel wheat with just 1lb of midnight? It would drop my OG, but not by that much. Also looking at the SRM, the color would be significantly darker, but I'm not sure if that would be an issue.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Yes, I believe the flavors would be very different. Midnight wheat contributes very little flavor, just a mild roast when used in small amonts. Chocolate wheat is pretty comparable to chocolate malt. Midnight wheat is also much much darker than chocolate or caramel wheat.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply