Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wheat beer conversion...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
labetanita
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wheat beer conversion...

I used to do a wheat extract brew with 3# wheat and 3# light extract... Now I am switching to all grain since extract is so expensive in Argentina. Could someone check this out and tell me if my calculations make any sense?!?!?!?!

3# wheat extract is 65% wheat, 35% barley
3# light extract is 100% barley

So overall, the light extract is 50%, and the wheat extract is 50%, resulting in 67.5% barley and 32.5% wheat in the total recipe.

Assuming that 6# extract equals 8# grain, and 8# grain equals 3.6kg for my mash I plan to use in place of extract:

2,4kg 2-row
1,2kg Wheat

I also added .5# crystal 10 and 1# or crushed wheat extra. I plan to do more or less the same, and I assume that I add these to the mash...

2,4kg 2-row
1-2kg plus 0.45kg wheat
0.2kg Crystal 10

If anyone has experience with this I would REALLY appreciate if you could check that this makes sense!!

Thanks everyone in advance,
Bethany

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The ratios for the wheat are correct.

The ratios for how much grain = how much extract really depend on your particular setup and mashing efficiency.

You'll probably want some rice hulls to add to the mix as well. Flaked wheat swells and turns into something similar to a bowl of oatmeal. You want enough "chunky" stuff mixed in to keep water moving through it. For that reason, you might want to pick a simpler style for your first AG batch. It would be 1 less potential problem to tackle on your first try and lets you see what "normal" looks like before you have to start worrying about what might be a "problem."

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
labetanita
Recipes 

We are getting our cooler setup this week so no idea what our efficiency will be, but I am pretty committed to recreating my awesome cucumber wheat for summertime down here... what about doing slightly less wheat in the first mash and then putting it in a bag as if it were a partial mash to keep the oatmeal effect to a minimum? I am in Argentina and hove not the slightest clue how to get rice hulls!! Thanks for confirming that I am on the right track with the ratios, any good advice or resources for figuring out our effeciency?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rice hulls? Stuck sparge? "What are those," says the BIAB brewer.

I recommend that until you have some recipe software like beersmith, just go to the recipe section and see which recipe in your desired style has the most buzz.

Quick Reply