Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's wrong with a false bottom for BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was thinking in terms of not melting my bag (some use cake racks). I solved my concerns by installing a cool pulley system. I can 'hook' the bag partially up off the bottom when the burner is on. Thanks ya'll. I got some new pictures of this; Flickr: Mad Scientist Brewhaus' Photostream

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
henryred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im curious on the amount of grain in that bag!!! it looks like 18 lbs(dry)! with 6.5 gal in the keggle. if you have a bottling bucket you can use the bag in the bucket to do a batch sparge and eliminate the harness all together . ok so the rest of the pics and got my answer with the amount of grain in the pic.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryred View Post
im curious on the amount of grain in that bag!!! it looks like 18 lbs(dry)! with 6.5 gal in the keggle. if you have a bottling bucket you can use the bag in the bucket to do a batch sparge and eliminate the harness all together . ok so the rest of the pics and got my answer with the amount of grain in the pic.
That's 18 lbs into 7.75 gallons. I also had 5.25 oz of loose pellet hops in the kettle. I did place the bag in a bucket after 30 minutes and used my small pot lid, with one side of the bag against the bucket wall and a pot lid pressing/squeezing from the top down. I got a little bit more.

When I do another one like this it would be with 8.25 gallons and a 90 minute boil. I'm thinking serious in getting a 'hop stopper'. I had one that fit my Update International (MegaPot), but sold it and the pot.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
buff12db
Recipes 

I just use a stainless steel vegetable steamer for mashing. It doesn't cover the entire bottom of my pot, but I make sure the direct flame is low so i'm not directly heating the edges of the kettle with a flame when I need to heat up a few degrees to adjust temp or mash out. I haven't had any trouble melting yet, and I just fish the steamer out after mash out.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I can't say enough about having a pulley system. I have 10 BIAB's under my belt, last 2 with a pulley, all of them I suspended the bag over the keggle which is centered under a garage door track. The first 8 I didn't think about squeezing the bag in place, but used a colander.

I'm not using a calander or a FB. I don't worry about burning the bag anymore.

This is what I do between the sac rest and the boil, also I squeeze the bag 100% while it is hanging from the pulley;

I mash out by lifting the bag just high enough so it's not touching the bottom (a simple knot and I catch it on the cleat), turn on the burner, heat wort to about 174*F per my 3" dial thermo on keggle, turn burner off, lower bag, stir a lot, measure temp inside the bag with a 12" lab thermo. I may repeat the lifting of the bag a 2nd time or drain out about 1/2 gallon into a plastic bucket and pour it on top to equalize the temps better. Once it's at 170*F I lift the bag about 1/2 way out and immediately start an aggressive squeezing using 2 pot lids. I will then lift it where the bottom of the bag is just cleared of the opening and squeeze with the lids all the way down the bag.

I don't let it sit for 20 mins at mash out, but I do insure that I fully stirred the grains and the temp inside the bag is at 170*F before lifting.

Quick Reply