Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's the worst that could happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
TheMerkle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default What's the worst that could happen?

Despite the board's attempts to discourage me from attempting such a big beer with my first all grain attempt, I have decided that I'm gonna give it a shot. It's a recipe I've worked up on my own for a Belgian Strong Dark Abbey style. This is the recipe:
14 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
2 lbs. Homemade dark candi sugar
.5 lbs. Caramunich
.5 lb. Biscuit
.5 lb. Aromatic
1 lb. Special B
1 oz. Challenger @ 40
1 oz. E.K.G. @ 20
Two stage starter yeast - WLP500
Mash at 150 for 90 min. Fly sparge 7.5 gallon. Boil 90 min. Pitch at 70, and let naturally heat to 80 and keep under 80 for two weeks. Keg, purge air, and pressurize to 30 psi and age at room temp for 3 weeks.

If anyone has any suggestions on the recipe 'd love to hear them but really, I'm more curious about technique. What should I expect, what should I be on the lookout for? What's the worst I could go wrong. I'm not too concerned with missing my target SG of 1.090. I figure a similar profile in a smaller beer would be a perfectly enjoyable result, but what might I do to keep it up?

Target numbers are 1.090 SG, 1.010-1.015 FG, 22 IBU, 10% ABV, 22 SRM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

For what it's worth, you might want to mash a bit lower, like 149 or 150. Although, I don't really expect you to take that advice, since you said yourself that you don't listen.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You may also want to mash longer that 60 with that much grain. I would think a 90 minute mash at 150.... that was my problem with my last big beer, mashed to high for too short a time .... did not get the numbers I was looking for...

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

" I figure a similar profile in a smaller beer would be a perfectly enjoyable result, but what might I do to keep it up?"

Practice on some smaller beers first? Sorry - couldn't resist....

To maximize efficiency on a big brew, start with a very thin mash - ie more water per lb of grain. Stir the heck out of it when doughing in. Let it mash a bit longer than usual. Calculate your sparge water so that you get a gallon more than your recipe calls for. eg if your target starting boil volume is 7 gallons, collect a total of 8 gallons. Let it boil down in your brewpot until you hit 7 gallons and then start your normal 60 minute boil.

Have you fermented a big beer before? If not, you'll want to look into some of those procedures too.

The "worst" that can happen is you end up with a sickenly sweet brew from missing your mash temps and not fermenting fully.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
TheMerkle
Recipes 

@TheZymurgist - On the contrary: I said I cannot be discouraged. I can listen quite well. I am a bit confused as to lower mashing temp. The information I've read often uses the term "produces a dryer beer". Is that to say that is produces a more fermentable wort? In the case of a Belgian Strong a highly fermentable wort would be preferable, but a dry beer would not. I was hoping someone would touch on this, because many of the recipes I've looked through call for higher mash temps... but I thought lower would make more sense.

@BrewerinBR - Is there a point of ill effect, or very diminishing returns as far as increased mash time go, or is it better to go as long as I can hold temp?

@Bill - Yes, I've fermented large beers successfully. I intend to make a stir plate to enhance my starter for this beer.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Egghead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The grain bills of Belgian ales lead to a very malty sweet beer. Sugar additions and low mash temperatures are traditionally used to dry the beer out and make it more balanced and more "digestible." A "dry finish" is highly desirable in Belgians - even more so in Trappist examples of the styles.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
TheMerkle
Recipes 

One of the things I love so much about the style is the sweetness. I think I may be overlapping my terms here. So mash 90 minutes at 150 in 1.5 quarts per pound?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 418

A lot of the perceived sweetness comes from the yeast character, so a highly fermentable wort (and thus, "dry" beer) can still seem sweet, even though the residual sugars are quite low compared to other styles.

Most commercial Belgians are mashed low (or step mash), so if that's what you're trying to emulate, I would mash similarly.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
A lot of the perceived sweetness comes from the yeast character, so a highly fermentable wort (and thus, "dry" beer) can still seem sweet, even though the residual sugars are quite low compared to other styles.

Most commercial Belgians are mashed low (or step mash), so if that's what you're trying to emulate, I would mash similarly.
I agree.
The Trappist yeasts are aggressive and produce lots of pleasant esters that can sometimes be perceived as sweet. (I normally ferment these at 75F and hold temp) The specialty malts and the caramelized sugars in your syrup will contribute to additional sweetness. Trappist beers range from moderately dry to very dry (Triple). Mash low (148-150) and long to convert the majority of the pilsner. You want your FG to end up under 1.012 to keep it from turning out too sweet; it helps if you add the syrup to the primary a few days into fermentation. This can be challenging but your hard work will be rewarded! Good Luck.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Longer mash time (if you can hold the temp) will help the conversion of starch to sugars and increase efficiency so you get the most of the grain. Large grain volume longer mash time becasue there is more to convert..

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quick Reply