Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's Up With Wit Wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
sfbayjay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default What's Up With Wit Wort?

Hi all,

Just brewed up a Belgian Wit yesterday, using a recipe that I shamelessly stole from BierMuncher in this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/just...ay-pics-99893/

I adapted the AG recipe to a PM for a 5.5 gallon batch. Near the end of the boil, I added a slurry of flour and water as described in BierMuncher's thread. Everything about the brewday went well -- hit OG on the nose (1.049), pitched at 74* F, and have lots of CO2 this morning.

Here's the question. I left my OG sample in the test jar overnight. This morning, once trub had settled, I have a crystal clear wort (see image)

Color is pretty good, and smells great. But I thought the flour addition would give this some residual "haze." Perhaps things will be different post ferment? I pitched rehydrated Safale S-33 (didn't have any Wit yeast on-hand), and I'm fermenting at about 70* to try and coax out some of it's purportedly "fruity" characteristics.

Am I destined to have a crystal clear wit? Also -- forgive n00b question, but is it customary to poiur the yeast into the glass with a Witbier? How about if the yeast isn't truely Wit yeast?

Thanks for any input!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr, Danish Physicist and Nobel Prize Winner
Aging/Bottled: Deschutes Mirror Pond Clone (PM)
Drinking: Victory Hop Devil Clone (PM)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The cloudy haze should be more noticeable when you chill the beer for drinking. Just for kicks, put your sample tube of beer in the refrigerator overnight and see what it looks like.

One of the reasons to use wit style yeast is because of it's low flocculation characteristics - it stays suspended in the beer a lot longer than many other strains of yeast. So yeast is pretty important to that style and a different yeast will produce a different beer. Not necessarily bad, but you can't expect it to be just like the original.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
sfbayjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Awwwww! I shoulda' thought of that! Would have been so easy to just throw the hydro sample in the fridge and see what happened. Unfortunately, I poured it out (after sipping/sampling, of course) while scrubbing everything up this morning. Have to wait and see now...

One thought is that I could try chilling the first hydro sample in a couple of weeks to see how much (if any) haze I get. My last beer was brewed with similar methods (although without any wheat in the grain bill) came out amazingly clear, so I have no idea what to expect. I've never made any kind of wheat beer before, and certainly not a Wit.

If the chilled hydro sample comes up clear, maybe I could try adding another flour/water slurry to the beer at bottling time?! Thoughts on that?

Also, yeah -- I understand the Wit yeast would likely stay more in suspension. Maybe I should have tried a Hefe yeast, but in substuting the S-33 for the Wit yeast instead, I was hoping to at least get some of the fruity zing. Any thoughts on whether I should swirl the yeast and get it into the glass at serving time?

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr, Danish Physicist and Nobel Prize Winner
Aging/Bottled: Deschutes Mirror Pond Clone (PM)
Drinking: Victory Hop Devil Clone (PM)

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
radtek
Recipes 

I wouldn't add the slurry at bottling time!! No No NO! Just chalk it up to experience.

I don't think s-33 will get you even close to a wit unfortunately. I got lots of pear when I used it and was really disappointed with the strain. You might have a "spiced" Pale ale now but wait and see if you have a chill haze.

It'll probably be excellent in any case and maybe you discovered something!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
eviljafar

Recipes 

I don't understand why you would add flour for cloudiness at any stage of the process, cloudiness in a wit comes from the yeast. Unfortunately you used the wrong yeast. I say forget adding flour and just use a wit yeast next time.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well it should have stayed a bit hazy because of the flour but yeah I bet the finished product will be hazy especially when you chill it. My problem with Wits is that for some reason I always get terrible efficiency when I do a wheat beer, I'm wondering if putting some 6-row in would help the wheat convert better.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljafar View Post
I don't understand why you would add flour for cloudiness at any stage of the process, cloudiness in a wit comes from the yeast. Unfortunately you used the wrong yeast. I say forget adding flour and just use a wit yeast next time.
Jamil Zainasheff is who I heard the flour idea from...both on his podcast and in his book, "Brewing Classic Styles".

Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 AM   #8
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I listened to an old pod cast of the Jamil Show today with some great wit tips in it. It wasn't Jamil doing the show but non the less good info. Explains the reasons why efficiency might be low and what to do about it, using the flour, using spices, yeast, and using citrus zest. Very informative.

The Brewing Network.com - :

Old 04-30-2009, 03:46 AM   #9
hardrain
Recipes 

I brewed this a couple of months ago, absolutely love it! Was my first AG actually, and also the first time I've felt my beer is on par with some of the store-bought craft beers. Really hits the spot after walking home from work in 90 degree+ DC heat.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayjay View Post
Awwwww! I shoulda' thought of that! Would have been so easy to just throw the hydro sample in the fridge and see what happened. Unfortunately, I poured it out ...
You did WHAT!?!?!?!?!! Drink that sweet nectar man!!
Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Quick Reply