Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's up with all the recipes with Munich malt??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #31
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr View Post
By this same logic wouldn't using all these new fancy yeast styles that bring out particular characters in your beer be just as much of a "cheat" as using a particular malt for the character it gives to the beer?

I think for a lot of people homebrewing is great because of the freedom it allows in ingredient choices and that there is no real right or wrong way of doing things.
That seems to be what Charlie Bamforth said in a article we discussed last weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #32
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster

That seems to be what Charlie Bamforth said in a article we discussed last weekend.
I didn't see that. One of my favorite brewing books radical brewing by Randy Mosher has a lot of discussion and examples about choosing ingredients for what they contribute, making modifications to classic styles, brewing with fruit, and herbs, etc.. Also has a lot of interesting recipes and as a whole is no where as "radical" as the title might lead you to believe.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #33
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Golddiggie;4557823]Since I have yet to brew an "American" style beer, and don't know if I ever will, Munich probably won't ever be milled/mashed here. With the range of styles available to me, that are from the British Isles, I can't see going to another region (style wise) for some time (if ever). I don't [really] have any interest in brewing a lager even. For one things, I don't want to set up a chamber in order to properly lager. For another, I'm very happy brewing with ale yeast.

No disrespect, but why draw a line then taunt those not on the same side as you? The use of any malt is due to many years of experimentation then adoption as a common ingredient. There is nothing sacred or blasphemous in homebrewing. The brewers that were originating the brews that you revere in the UK would have gladly used any ingredients that would have improved what they had. The notion that what one or another does is proper or improper is antithetical to homebrewing.

I am as happy with recipes containing munich malt as you are with ale yeast.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #34
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 693 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Munich malt adds a nice malt backbone and I use it fairly regularly in my APAs, ambers, pale ales, etc. I also like to use Vienna malt to provide some malt flavor and toastiness. Both malts also impart some color. I generally try to include an equal percentage of crystal malt and munich/vienna malt whenever possible as I perceive that caramel malts add a little too much sweetness and munich/vienna malts help counteract that, and they give the beer some depth.

Munich malt is cheating?

I suppose it wouldn't be considered "to style" with English beers but for American and German styles it's fine.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #35
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Cheating implies a competition with agreed upon rules.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #36
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
It does seem an odd sentiment to accuse others of "copping out" or "cheating" for using an ingredient because they like the flavor, and admittedly one that you have no experience with. Unless we are entering a competition or marketing a beer as a certain style, why not use whatever we want? You may prefer to limit your focus to traditional styles of one region, but most of us do not. I think that's one of the best things about this hobby.
This dude is right on. U can use recipes or.....you can MAKE recipes! Beer has gotten to the point it has because people have dared to break a TYPICAL style and make a UNIQUE style, resulting in a beer that a large majority end of loving more than the typical. All because of trial and error. Best hobby to have for sure.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Try a 50/50 vienna/munich mash IPA. I did and you'll love it!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #38
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would go even further and say that as long as we are making good beer, why not use whatever we want... even if we are entering a competition or marketing a beer as a certain style.

I suppose it would depend on what you consider to define a style. But for me, it is appearance, aroma, mouthfeel and taste. Who cares how you get there?

This is all not to mention that if 10 homebrewers brewed the same recipe, you would get 10 different beers. ALL homebrewers have different techniques and equipment - and those techniques and equipment are usually very far from traditional techniques and equipment. So it will take different ingredients for different homebrewers to arrive at a similar final product.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #39
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 955 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 2025

I hate it when Jamil Zainasheff cheats by using Munich in his IPAs . . .

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"
Hammy71 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #40
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I've been noticing a trend lately with lots of recipes coming up using Munich malt. Recipes like porters, barley wines, IPA's, and others that really don't use it (normally).

Hate me if you like, but that's my take on it.
Even though the tone of your post is, IMO, elitist, argumentative, narrow minded, and uninformed, why should I hate you for your slant on things? I'm sure that after much more experimentation and experience, you may possibly come to a realization that Munich malt is a great performer for those that have a taste for malty beers. For those of that taste preference, Munich malt is a natural ingredient and in no wise should be considered a "cheat".
Cheers, and let each brew their own......

Quick Reply