Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What's up with all the recipes with Munich malt??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
moti_mo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

And even when entering competitions, taste and the "apparent" adherence to style is what is most important. Some of my best scoring and medal-winning beers have used ingredients that wouldn't necessarily be used that often (or appropriate) for a particular style.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Guess I'm just jaded by the base malt I am using. I'm using good/great UK 2 row and Maris Otter for all my batches. I mash in the temperatures to give the body I want. I also use yeast that leaves a good amount of malt character/flavors in the brew.
You know I have to, don't you?!?!

You mean, you use UK malt in all beers? Isn't that cheating? If you were a good brewer, you wouldn't NEED to use maris otter in a scottish ale, only golden promise.

When you think about, Munich malt is German maris otter. I mean, it's the closest analogy I can think of.

It's just one more tool in our arsenal as brewers.

I know of some people who use carapils in every batch, including probrewers. Others call carapils a crutch. I think it's all about your ability to get to the exact results you want, whether it's using carapils or Munich malt, or maris otter.

The other thing is that without brewing different styles, you may not have an appreciation for what some malts can bring to the beer. I mean, I'll use Belgian pilsner malt in a US IPA sometimes- and it's awesome! And other times I'll use US Vienna malt in a German beer. Limiting yourself to strict rules and only brewing a couple of styles of beer is fine, if you're happy with your beers. But not brewing other styles, and not having an understanding of the malts available in the world is so limiting and maybe you're missing out on something great.
sudbuster Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamWS View Post
I also found it interesting that the use of Munich is being knocked by someone who has, admittedly, never used Munich.

Also, Golddiggie, I don't think it's particularly traditional for an old ale to be aged on cherry so that must be wrong, too. And I hope there's no coffee in that mocha porter.
I guess for all his snobbery about being a purist to English beers he forgot that his cream ale is an American beer style.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
To help put this in context for you, Golddiggie recently had to excuse himself from a thread based on support for those afflicted by Hurricane Sandy after stating that he didn't see what the big deal was, all that happened to him was that his DirectTV went out. So needless to say he has issues with seeing things from other prospectives than his own.
When he first came on here he was telling us what his LHBS was telling him and he was told the advice was dated and inaccurate. He then told us we had no idea what we were talking about.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #25
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

By this same logic wouldn't using all these new fancy yeast styles that bring out particular characters in your beer be just as much of a "cheat" as using a particular malt for the character it gives to the beer?

I think for a lot of people homebrewing is great because of the freedom it allows in ingredient choices and that there is no real right or wrong way of doing things.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster

When he first came on here he was telling us what his LHBS was telling him and he was told the advice was dated and inaccurate. He then told us we had no idea what we were talking about.
I remember that! Man, the dots are really connecting now.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr
By this same logic wouldn't using all these new fancy yeast styles that bring out particular characters in your beer be just as much of a "cheat" as using a particular malt for the character it gives to the beer?
Using yeast at all is a cheat. You are supposed to let the wild yeast inoculate your beer, and whatever you have locally is what makes your beer authentic. Anything else is cheating. Why should we get to cheat and make our beer appear to have been brewed in Belgium?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Since I have yet to brew an "American" style beer, and don't know if I ever will, Munich probably won't ever be milled/mashed here. With the range of styles available to me, that are from the British Isles, I can't see going to another region (style wise) for some time (if ever). I don't [really] have any interest in brewing a lager even. For one things, I don't want to set up a chamber in order to properly lager. For another, I'm very happy brewing with ale yeast.
I'll bet you get heavy starch on your dress shirts.

Im into beer and brewing for good tasting beer. If that good tasting beer is made by mashing these
or these
I'm getting out my club and finding a way to get them through my barley crusher and into my MLT.

I really don't care what the style police or someone with a hand carved mash paddle that cost more than my AG set up has to say about my beers or recipes. I'm a harsher critic of my beers anyways and if it tastes great that's all that matters. Hopefully you feel the same way about your beer

Old 11-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Using yeast at all is a cheat. You are supposed to let the wild yeast inoculate your beer, and whatever you have locally is what makes your beer authentic. Anything else is cheating. Why should we get to cheat and make our beer appear to have been brewed in Belgium?
Or styles from the British isles like OP is brewing.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Let's keep on topic, and leave any personal comments and remarks out of posts, ok? Remember the golden rule, and if you don't have anything of substance to add to the discussion there is no shame in not posting.

People Like This 

Quick Reply